Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Leaving cat with friend

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Missmeowsalot, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Missmeowsalot

Missmeowsalot PetForums Newbie

Hey all!

I have a lovely cat, baggy, who i adopted in August 2018. I already had a holiday booked for this year (It's a long one 12th Feb to 1st March) and I am lucky enough to have a good friend who has agreed to take care of baggy for the time we're away.... (I know it's ideal to leave a cat in its own territory but for this length of time it isn't feasible to either rely on someone popping in, and spending adequate time, nor is it financially viable to hire a sitter - hence why baggy is being 'baggysat' by my friend).

My question is, to any who may have done this before... would you recommend allowing the cat some time in the new house in just one room (as I did when I adopted, he stayed in my large front room/diner for the first afternoon and night) or just to let him roam?

I will be taking baggy to my friends and staying for dinner, so I will be there for a fair while and so am thinking he will be ok to roam around and become acquainted with his new temporary home immediately. I am sad to leave him, but I have 110% put his needs first in leaving him with my friend. I just want to make sure the cat (And the friend!) Have an easy transition with minimal annoyances!

Thanks all

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I would be inclined to just let him stay in the room your friend has prepared for him for the whole 2 weeks. Why risk him getting out and lost?

But some things to consider. Does he know your friend already? What was he like when he came to you, at first? Did he hide away or start wanting to explore the whole place with confidence?

chillminx and TriTri like this.
  3. Missmeowsalot

Thanks for the reply!!

He's definitely not allowed out of their house, but he has free reign of the house (aside their bedroom) while he's with them. He's very curious and exploratory (just chilling asleep on the sofa with 8 people round for dinner one night! He likes it!)

He is needy and is used to company, and he HATED the Cattery (his previous owner was taken Ill so went to cattery, hated it and was fostered - then came to live with us) - so a cattery is also a no go.

He's seen my friend a lot, and I am sure he's going to be fine, but as we are going to be having dinner there, I am now leaning towards just letting him settle in. He settled extremely fast when we brought him home for the first time!

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Well you know him best and if you think he will be okay with free roam of the house I see no reason not to let him. as long as you feel sure they will take special care not to let him get out a door. That would be my biggest concern. He sounds a lovely confident sociable soul.

5. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi there. Too many people unintentionally lose cats out of doors and windows. Is your cat microchipped? Your cat would be best kept in a dedicated room, as Lorilu first suggested.
    Have a nice holiday and I hope your cat has a nice holiday with your friend too. Hopefully your cat with have 2 litter trays, a scratch post, lots of toys, a warm bed, a place to hide, food and a vet fund for emergencies and vet notes with vet contact details, etc etc?

chillminx, NFC slave and Ali71 like this.
  6. Missmeowsalot

Thanks! Yea he's lovely! They're under explicit instructions to not allow him out under any circumstances, and being February it'll be a lot easier for them to keep him in than it was us, during the obscene heatwave in August - we were melting with all our doors closed lol!

I trust he will not get out, and reminders are consistently being mentioned and they're 110% aware he doesn't go out at all. I can't bear to think of the poor soul in one room, he needs to be near his people at all times and he wouldn't be happy shut away. He's microchipped and registered at vets and of course I am sending him there duly up to date with flea treatment and worming and he even had a vet check up last week to ensure he's healthy and we don't need to worry about anything in that department.

I think I will just miss my kitty and wanted to chat about it! It'll be the first time I left him! But it's gonna be lovely holiday (we need them, pets or no pets right?!) And it'll be lovely for my friend too, who is considering a cat later in the year.

Thanks so much all!! X

7. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

The most important thing is that their house is cat safe and there is no possibility of escape to the outdoors.
    You'll probably find that he hides for the first day or so and then he may get curious about other rooms.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice