Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Leaving alone a Beagle

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bejgli, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Bejgli

Bejgli PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone,

I'm in a difficult situation at the moment so sorry for the long post..

I have a 1 year old Beagle. As I was lucky enough to work from home since we have got her I was able to be with her all day. Now I will need to change my job and there is a high possibility of me working in an office somewhere in London M-F 9-5. I am really sad and feeling bad about leaving my Beagle alone during the days that I work because she is used to having me around all day, sleeping in my room and going for walks 3-4 times a day. I don't think she will get used to being alone so easy because she usually cries even if I leave her in the garden for a couple of hours (when I go gym, do other stuff). We have a safe medium sized garden with lots of her toys and her house. When I'm out in the garden she is fine, she loves to just sleep and enjoy the sun, but as soon as I'm gone she's whining already. If she has something to chew on (bone, toy whatever) she is fine alone.

My question would be how can I make this situation work for her? If I start a job I would always take her on a walk each morning and to the local park for an hour when I come home. I'm just afraid that she might develop anxiety issues when I will no longer be with her all day. I understand the most people can't do this with their pets anyway but because she was used to this I'm unsure. There is no way I would give her away because of this, but if I would find a place where she would be with other dogs and people all day, everyday I might consider it. I just want the best for her. Thanks for reading, any advice is appreciated
    38276259_1889634811095562_6109905181187506176_n.jpg 30739718_1754459431279768_7059101238595420160_n.jpg .

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Hi how long will she be left ? I had someone at home until recently so my boxers in a similar position I built up slowly leaving them. They are left in the house I wouldn't leave them outside weather to crazy at the moment winter and summer.

Our routine;

Up at 5 1-2 hr run / walk breakfast

7:30 I go to work

11:30-12:30 dog walker comes in lunch and play. This has been a life line I would recommend can you come home for lunch ?

3:30 - 4 myself or hubby comes home. Walk and play or training.

Some issues we do not go out in the evening unless they are coming as they have been on their own. Weekends are doggy holidays are doggy. This is fine as I'm an antisocial sod. Or one of us stay in.

They have been absolutely fine no signs of distress I also arranged to work from home some of the time not sure if this is an option? I'm a teacher so term time only. My hubby is self employed if the dogs are ill he stays home.

Torin., Lurcherlad and 3dogs2cats like this.
  3. Bejgli

Bejgli PetForums Newbie

I'm not sure probably around 8hrs...she would not be left in the house as she chews literally everything if bored. Dog walker would be a good option as I would not be able to come home for lunch. My parents also get home around 6pm.

4. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

You are certainly not the only dog owner to find their situation changes but with use of dog walkers/sitters or even dog day care centres there are usually ways around it.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Bejgli

Bejgli PetForums Newbie

I have used day centres before when I was on holiday but they are not cheap especially in London. I will try to find a local dog walker who would be able to walk her at least once a day. Thanks

6. bumbarrel

bumbarrel PetForums Senior

Don't want to worry you but leaving a dog in the garden leaves you open to a) dog escaping b) dog being stolen.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

This is difficult because often dogs can be fine being left in the house but often don't like being left in the garden and will bark . What will you do with her in the winter when it is raining and cold outside,

8. Bejgli

Bejgli PetForums Newbie

The garden is very well secured, impossible to access it from the outside.

9. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

What if she sits in the garden all day whining and barking? How will your neighbours react? Not very well I imagine! What about winter? Are you going to leave her out in the rain and snow?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I would definitely get a walker in with regards to eating the house mine would to if they didn't get their morning run by the time they have had a couple of hours in the fields they settle until the walker comes in. I'm very strict with myself this will happen every day.

They also have the large chewable antlers.

11. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Clearly she isn’t happy alone if she’s destructive and vocal so the idea of leaving her for 8 hours (even with a break in the middle) is just not workable imo

Before you start the new job go right back to basics and try retraining her to be happier when left.

It took roughly 2 weeks to settle my rescue, working on it a few times every day, though that was to get to 2 hours. After that it was easy to up that time without any regression but only up to a maximum of 5 hours which is my comfortable limit.

Otherwise going to daycare seems to be the only option.

If she went in the morning but was brought home say, 2pm she might be tired and ready to snooze until you come home (with a safe room, radio on low, filled long, etc.). This might keep the cost down too.

Maybe make enquiries with vet practises as the Nurses often dogsit, breed clubs or rescues that use Fosterers who might take on a paying customer for a donation to the charity?

Friends or neighbours too might take it on as a part time job. Not sure how that works legally though.

A friend and I had a private, reciprocal arrangement to cover holidays, etc.

Torin. and Sacremist like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice