Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Leaving a puppy with family during working days? Good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lucydouglas, Aug 16, 2019 at 1:16 PM.

1. lucydouglas

lucydouglas PetForums Newbie

So we have a 14 week old cockapoo puppy, and we are struggling with leaving her alone.

She is left 4 hours in the morning, and I walk/play with her at lunch times (I am only a 10 minute drive away from home/work) and then again another 3 hours in the afternoon. She has a crate with an attached pen in the living room, so she wanders in and out and sleeps in various places throughout the time she is left alone. We have a puppy cam to keep an eye on her and just see how she copes.

We had about a 3 weeks off when we brought her home between me and my partner to get her used to the house, we have now been back at work for a couple of weeks and she has stopped eating properly. We have tried now 3 different kibbles, and we are mixing jelly with her food. She definitely still has appetite, and the vet checked her over and there was nothing obviously wrong .e.g temperature etc. So we believe it is to do with us leaving her.

We are checking out a doggy day care for at least one day a week, but can't afford to do every day of the week. We would like her to be used to being alone, because it will be good for her in general to not feel anxious when she is alone.

But we can't help the guilt! On the camera she sleeps for 90% of the time we're gone, has a play, falls back asleep etc and sometimes has a little cry. Logically we know that she is fine, and nothing can happen to her she has what she needs. But the fact that she's not eating properly tells us she is stressed about it.

My partners mum has offered to have her every day no problem - which is lovely, but we are worried she will become more used to his parents opposed to us, which is selfish but her training is progressing really well she listens to us, her recall is great when she is off the lead etc. And we don't want to ruin that.

I just wondered what other people's experiences have been, is it worth powering through these days of her not eating as much and being anxious about us leaving and she will get better, or is it cruel? Would long term it damage our 'pack' if she is spending a lot of time with other people?

Anyones thoughts/experiences/opinions would be much appreciated :)

Thank you.

2. Dog Walker Woman

Dog Walker Woman PetForums Member

2 year old Spaniel down the road has been to daycare and walked by a neighbour daily since a puppy up until recently.
    She is still devoted to her own family and seems a happy well balanced dog.
    Why not let her have some company if the offer is there ?
    Worth a try in my opinion.

Kittynanna and tabelmabel like this.
  3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Good idea, i think. Many dogs like to be around people.

Maybe ask that your dog is not let off lead though - so the recall cant go wrong!

Lurcherlad and Linda Weasel like this.
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d prefer her to have company for more of the day tbh.

Maybe they could pick her up at lunchtime so she gets used to being alone in the morning (after being with you for her morning meal, walk, etc. ).

She’s probably ready for a nap then and by lunchtime possibly has some new energy to burn off so being picked up by someone for a walk and company would work well.

As she gets older, maybe gradually delay the pick up time until later so she has no cause to get anxious but learns to be settled alone for longer as she grows.

At the moment I feel she’s still too young to be alone for very long (when awake).

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

The puppy is 14 weeks old... Why wouldn't you let the dog off lead at this age? I have always let puppies off lead from day one...

Just because a dog doesn't flee on a longline for example it still can ignore a recall.

At 14 weeks old the majority of puppies see owners as god like creatures, even those with high prey drive as they are still gaining confidence. Something which this puppy which is being spoken about, has far to go. As a golden rule it's the teenage stage where any training goes out the window and dog becomes bog off dog.

It would be more fault of an owner at this age using poor recall techniques such as calling whilst they are too busy sniffing something new and exciting for example.

6. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums Member

I've left mine with my mum every working day since she was 9 weeks old and had no problems and if I'm honest, I'd prefer my dog being with family than daycare.

They both enjoy each others company as well I think. I come to get the dog and they are both chilling on the sun loungers or sofa :Hilarious

7. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

So do i but if i had a puppy that was being looked after by my mother in law, i just wouldnt chance it. Maybe because i am a control freak, i just like to do all the training with my own dogs and i wouldnt be at all happy with anyone else doing anything outside my control.

I kind of picked up this same vibe in op's post - not wanting recall mucked up so i suggested a lead to prevent anything going wrong.

Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Sox used to be looked after by my sister and in laws it was a huge relief for him to be looked after and not on his own. He still loves me the most :D

9. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

If I had a family member volunteer to look after my dog while I was out all day I would take up the offer in a shot!

10. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

My best friend looked after all my lot until they were about 6 mths old. Never caused any problems and they were much happier not being left alone when they were little.
    Once they were older I left them at home but they still adore their 'auntie'!

Lurcherlad and tabelmabel like this.
  11. magpi

magpi PetForums Senior

Like @3dogs2cats I would love a family member look after my 2. I panic if I get held up at work making me late back. It would be lovely to know there was someone there to see to them. They have each other for company, but especially for a young pup who's an only dog, it's ideal

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I think Lurcherlad's suggestion of your MIL having pup for the second half of the day is very sensible - that way she can gradually get used to being left alone. I would much prefer that option to daycare personally.

Lurcherlad, lullabydream and magpi like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice