Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Leaving a dog alone

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nette, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Nette

Nette PetForums Junior

Just looking for advice, but polite please.

I would like to get a miniature schnauzer and will have four weeks from getting it at home full time. We are very fortunate to have retired neighbours who will do anything for anyone as they are a bit bored and like to keep busy. So we are considering asking them when I go back to work to pop in and let the dog out and give it some fuss. If they say no (which will be a choice left to them entirely) then we won’t get a dog.

My husband is a PC and at the moment works days. Come 6 months it’s going to be mostly nights so the situation will change then. I'm a teacher so looking to get a dog asap as summer holidays.

Advice on whether what I’m doing is fair on a new dog please.

PS. I've said dog all the way through, selfishly I would like a puppy.

2. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

If it was me i would wait until your hubby will be home in the day

3. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Sound's great if nxt door can pop in:D good luck.

4. Tamsin

Tamsin PetForums Junior

I think personally there isnt anything wrong with the way that you want to do things.
    You can introduce the dog to being left alone for periods of time throughout the day to start training it and if your neighbours will pop in then thats fine.

We got our Springer puppy and my mum was off work at the time - I think she only had 4 weeks off then she went back to work and popped home at lunch to let the dogs out and then when it became that she couldnt pop home at lunch the dogs were fine.
    Our puppy was kept with another dog though so she had company!

5. rona

rona Guest

Let me get this right, you are looking to get a dog now?

6. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

You will not be able to find the right breed for you and a reputable breeder so soon, so you will hardly any time at all before you go back to work.

7. Nette

Nette PetForums Junior

Sorry it's not as if I have only just thought about it, but I am just making sure i've made the right choices. The neighbour idea has only just come to me and i've found a puppy from a good breeder.

I just need to make sure I am doing the right thing before I take the plunge.

8. rona

rona Guest

Argh ok :D
    I personally couldn't do it myself but it sounds as if you have the dogs best interests at heart, it could work :) have you considered a dog walker? They don't have to actually walk the pup when it's little, just spend time with it

9. Nette

Nette PetForums Junior

I have looked at dog walkers, i''m just not sure how much i'd trust someone I don't know. If anyone has information on any in Stoke-on-Trent though i'd be happy to consider it.

I'll talk to my neighbours also and see how much time they would want to spend with the dog.

10. Badger's Mum

Hope your neighbour's can help you, If they can't think very hard about it:)

11. rona

rona Guest

Neighbours would be better if they don't mind.
    If the pups lined up and neighbours in place, get it as soon as possible to give it time to settle properly and to sort out any problems that crop up before you go back to work :)

12. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Hi i would say your arrangement is ideal and sounds like you have thought it through, as you have some time off still you have 2/3 weeks if you got it soon to bond, it would be good for the puppy to have your friends popping in, in the day and with being retired ime sure it wont be a quick few minutes:) by the time your o.h is at home all day he/she will be used to being on its own for a while. I always think the danger of having someone there all day fom the start is they never get used to being alone which is not a good thing, good luck with your puppy.

13. Badger's Mum

Great mind's;)

14. Nette

Nette PetForums Junior

Thanks everyone for your advice. Husband is on way home from work, so a chat with the neighbours is on I think. Fingers crossed. X

15. rona

rona Guest

Best of luck, let us know the out come :)
    Don't brow beat them though, they may need time to think it over ;):D

16. Nette

Nette PetForums Junior

It needs to be the right choice, as if they change their mind i'd feel guilty every morning going to work. X

17. Badger's Mum

Good luck to you:D

18. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

The only thing I can see that could be an issue is about your husband working nights. He will need his sleep during the day and a crying/barking/attention seeking pup may not be what he needs. Just a thought

19. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I personally dont trust anyone other then the people in my house to walk my dogs

Also 1 thing to think about is you said your neighbours are old?? Can you really rely on them to look after the pup every day. Might just be me thinking wrong but old people are not as active as us youngones lol

20. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Another thing to think of is what happens if you fall out with your neighbour? Maybe it's just us but we seem to fall out with neighbours really easily :p One fell out with us because mum asked him to do something about his grass because it was knee high :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice