Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Leather or not ...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Wild Extreme, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Wild Extreme

Wild Extreme PetForums Junior

We've had quite a few queries lately about us expanding our range of dogwear to include stocking leather collars & leads, as upto now we've always made our stuff from webbing and rope, and kept the leather work down to repairs only.

So how popular is leather gear and would it be worth stocking?

Back at you guys, your opinions would be great!

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I really like leather collars and leads with brass fittings as they always feel strong and robust and are durable. I have a lighter webbing collar for when we go running etc and Kilo is on a harness but for most occasions I use a leather half check.

3. Galadriel17

Galadriel17 PetForums VIP

I'd say so. All my three have a good quality leather collar. I like the rolled leather ones too - that's what Luna has, I just imagine them being more comfortable, the rolled ones I mean :)

4. Barkie

Barkie PetForums Senior

You'll know brass on collars can stain white coats so stainless steel metalwork would be good too. I'd like to be able to buy a posh flat leather collar with brass decoration though which has a leather or fleece backing for a BC with a white collar.

5. Wild Extreme

Thx for your comments guys, keep them coming!

Don't fancy the prospect of a huge outlay if I'm going to be moving it from shelf to shelf in the stockroom, dusting it periodically....

Sitting quietly on the fence at the mo on this one:confused:

6. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Good quality leather collars and leads will always be popular, we have a saddler make ours, the downside from your point of view they last a lifetime if treated correctly.

7. Shazach

Shazach PetForums VIP

I also buy leather, much better wearing, stronger and durable. They last us well but the chrome will go rusty from swims and dips :D so I will need to buy more than once!

I would like a new flat one with a name tag on the collar rather than attached.

8. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

I love leather collars and leads, they always seem strong and durable.

9. Bea

Bea PetForums Member

I like the rolled leather collars. Can't beat a decent leather lead :)

10. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Ive finally got sophie rolled one after her fabric one broke at the clasp. This one is really nice, durable but its to big so shes got to wear her harness when out.

11. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I much prefer leather collars, and don't buy/use any other sort now. Stainless steel buckles would be great, not just a thin outer layer that gets rubbed off, but solid. I have a rolled collar on Kite so it won't mess up her ruff, and a flat one on Ziggy. Both are lovely soft leather, and have the D-ring on the opposite side to the buckle, so the weight of the buckle makes it hang to the low point, meaning the D-ring is easy to get hold of on the high part of the collar, just above the withers.

I like leather leads too, that bit of give and good grip. They just feel nice in the hand.

12. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I don't buy anything but leather leads for my dogs, I've bought fabric ones in the past as a fill in whilst waiting for rolled leather slip leads, and they are nowhere near as nice.

13. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I've always used rolled leather collars for my collies and also have some leather leads made from English Oak Bark leather (my late father was a saddler).

14. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

I much prefer good quality flat leather collars. Only use fabric when we go on holiday and the dogs are swimming in the sea everyday:D

I like a collar with brass buckles and a slightly braided pattern in the middle, rather than completely plain.:001_tt1:

15. Kc Mac

Kc Mac PetForums Senior

I prefer leather leads collars and harnesses and have quite a range :eek: :D

No offence meant but I wouldn't buy a leather collar 'off the shelf'. For what they cost to make out of decent leather I think its a much better idea for bespoke orders ;)

I have mine made to order so they are the exact size, style and colour I want, plus they are all hand stitched. Well cared for they last for years and to be honest, I would still use the same guy as I trust him and know the great quality with good price. If he ever gave I up I would eventually have to shop around.....

:)

16. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

both of mine have leather one's :thumbup: Will be looking at getting them some half leather checks soon :)

17. Roofs

Roofs PetForums Junior

Another vote for leather, not that I have the dog yet :eek: but when he's fully grown he'll get a leather collar, for now he has a nylon one with a reflective stripe,

18. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

I make collars, leads etc, but i dont use leather

personally i dont use leather on my dogs for many reasons, i think its unethical, they're too pricey, i like colourful ones :rolleyes:, and i find it doesnt do their coats much good

i dont make anything i dont use myself

19. Wild Extreme

Thx for all your comments guys. Looks like we will defo be investing in a decent leatherwear range. We have some great ideas for it, just wanted to test the market first for everyone's views on the popularity of leather. Since we make all our own gear we can incorporate a lot of the stuff you've all commented on about what you particularly like (and bearing in mind obviously things that you don't)

Brain cogs are turning ... thanks everyone! :thumbup:

20. DT

DT Banned

I much prefer a good quality leather collar, all the better if it is leather lined, not so keen on the leads myself, well not until they are well worn anyway! that said many people do prefer their collar and leads to match so O am perhaps an exception.
    DT

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice