Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Leather Help needed

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SpringerHusky, May 25, 2010.

1. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Some of you know I got a kitten dumped on me (if not check the cat section) well I nipped her to the vets to just get her checked over.

I came home to this;
    [​IMG]

My mum is going to kill me when she finds out (get's back from spain friday night). I though I could just tape it up and turn it over, Nope I forgot the cusion are sticthed in :mad:

Now I want a way to repair it/to make it not look so bad. I have no money so can't really buy anything but any ideas what I can do about it? or do something that's not going to cost me allot of money.

I know who the culprit is too, it was Maya because I've caught her a few times digging on the sofa. This phantom pregnancy is driving me insane, the sooner she gets spayed the better. :mad:

Any clues how to save myself here? :scared:

2. jen24

jen24 Banned

This may work..

Step 1
    Purchase a leather repair kit or simply a leather patch and garment glue. Leather patches will come in several different colors and textures. In order to get a good match, lift your couch up and see if there is any excess leather. Cut a swath out and bring it to the store in order to match the correct color.

Step 2
    Place a piece of blank paper over the tear and trace its size, then draw a circle about an inch from the actual tear. This will be the pattern you will use to create a leather patch for your couch. You need at least an inch on each side of the tear so it does not come loose over time.

Step 3
    Cut your pattern out and lay it over the leather patch. Carefully cut out the patch to match the size of the paper pattern you created. It is important to follow the pattern so that your patch isn't oversized and obvious to visitors that you have had to repair your couch.

Step 4
    Apply the patch to your couch by first checking to make sure the patch will cover enough space on your couch. Next, apply a small amount of glue around the entire back of the patch. Immediately place this on the tear.

Step 5
    Let the patch dry and place a heavy, non-stick object over the hole.

3. SpringerHusky

Ooo thanks, shall go on the hunt now and I have spare pieces of the sofa that was ripped up :rolleyes: bloody dogs, Thank you :D

4. jen24

jen24 Banned

Your welcome, good luck :D

5. dobermum

dobermum PetForums Senior

lawdy lawdy lawdy! I just finished posting something on another thread a few mins ago about my last male. He ate the entire arm on one of my leather sofas. I had to get a leather Dr. in and he could not get an exact match on the colouring, so he took the sofa away (a week or so) and took leather from the back of the sofa to repair the arm, whilst recovering the back with the leather to nearest match in colour.

Are you ready for this???

COST: £1000.00 :eek::eek::eek6: *faint* - that's what I did.

Good luck!

D

6. SpringerHusky

Oh god, I thought the patch was bad :scared: I think i'm lucky and even if teh shade is off a bit no one will notice because no one sits on that end so it's usually got crap on it :lol:

7. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Can you claim on house or dog insurance for the damage done?

8. dobermum

dobermum PetForums Senior

Hi there - sorry, I forgot to mention previously that I did try to claim under my insurance policy under accidental damage - but I wasn't covered for 'dog vandalism' lol. I'm not sure there's cover in policies for d.v. but some may do it, so good on ya if ya can claim!

Let us know how ya get on.

D x

9. Mr Gizmo

Mr Gizmo Body of a Buddah.

Step 1-Find out passport
    Step 2-Goto travel agent
    Step 3-Get the hell out of country.:D

Sorry not much help I know.

10. noogsy

noogsy PetForums VIP

hi sweetie i think
    leather dr is the answer for a repair you wont notice,
    but prepare for pain in the purse.
    the last time i used them to repair a bad tear in my sofa it cost me £300
    but was worth it.cos the repair couldnt be seen.
    i think you should find out about house insurance.
    phone your mum tell her the night before she comes home her hols....:eek:
    you dont want to spoil her holiday but prewarn her.
    mums do like to know if bad things have happened.
    and she will NOT kill you.
    she might be a bit vocal:p
    noogsy x

11. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice