Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Learning on the Lead?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by RemyTheDoxie, Nov 22, 2012.

1. RemyTheDoxie

RemyTheDoxie PetForums Newbie

Hi guys, i could really use some advice, remy is my first dog, ive read endless books and spent time looking at her personality, and ive attempted to start introducing the harness and lead.
    When her harness is on shes fine, she follows plays walks around toilets outside etc... but as soon as the lead goes on, shes lying on the floor and wont move! ive tried to bribe her with treats, little titbits and lots of praise and she just wont make any attempt. are there any other ways ?
    or is it just persistence? i can imagine it is, but with her having her last vaccination next thursday, it would be nice to start getting her walking in the house :)

any advice is much appreciated! :smile5: :001_tt1:

2. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

How about leaving a short lead on while you do your usual playing etc?

3. RemyTheDoxie

RemyTheDoxie PetForums Newbie

ahhh, thats something i hadnt thought of!
    ill give it a go, let her get used to it, ill just have to make sure her little dachshund legs dont get tangled up! :)

4. Vicki

Vicki PetForums VIP

Just something to think about... If you want to reward the dog, what do you do? You probably give treats, little titbits and a lot of praise. So in fact, instead of making your dog want to move you've been rewarding it for not moving.

The idea of putting a lead on while playing etc, is a very good idea. Shouldn't that work I'd just pull the dog along and reward her when she's moving. It might seem cruel to just drag the dog, but in a harness I don't think there's any risk for injuries and dogs usually start walking when they realise that they're not getting away with refusing to walk.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice