Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Learn To Speak Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by MerlinsMum, May 17, 2010.

1. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Excellent YouTube video clearly showing facial expressions of dogs and other body language:

YouTube - Learn to speak dog!

May I also recommend Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas - a great little book which is a real eye-opener and can teach you how to communicate with dogs as well.

#1 MerlinsMum, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  2. ArwenLune

ArwenLune PetForums Senior

Great video - love that they've used images of so many different kind of dogs. Also shows just how hard to read some dogs are, and how easy others - the German Shep had beautifully visible worried eyebrows, the black Newfie is so much harder to read!

3. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

I love love love DogGone Safe - its also bite prevention week in the US this week (I think, Terry?) - spread that video far and wide :)

4. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

sure is bite prevention week this week! the dog mags are full of info on how to stay safe.

interesting video too Merlinsmum! thanks for that!
    the dog i find hardest to read is a Doberman! they are bred to have a certain stare about them and it sure can be tricky to work out what they are thinking.

5. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Good link. Maybe we ought to send it to you-know-wh...........no stop it Caroline! <slaps own hand> That's norty! :p

I used to do 'Prevent-A-Bite talks in schools about 15 years ago with my first collie, Jasper, teaching children how to always ask before touching a dog, how to approach a dog and how to behave if a stray dog menaced them etc. Sadly when the National Curriculum came in, schools no longer had time to fit such things in which was a shame as they were fun to do and I always arranged for a police dog handler to go in a few weeks later with his police dog to 'test' the children on their newfound knowledge! It worked very well from the feedback I had. :) Such a shame things like that aren't done now.

6. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Great little video - some of the differences berween happy and worried are very subtle.

7. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

And a half-moon eye is supposedly a warning of what? :confused: Oscar displays this 'half moon eye' as they call it when he's in a mood for mischief. Am I to understand it then that the phenomenon has two meanings Positive/negative? :confused:

8. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

Don't take any signal on its own in isolation. Always look at everything togther and realise that doggie signalling is very fluid and ambivalent at the best of times.

9. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

If a half moon is supposed to be a warning when am I supposed to be more alarmed;

At this stage?

[​IMG]

This stage?

[​IMG]

Or this stage?

[​IMG]

:confused1: :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

My dog is jowl-y too so often has half moon whites showing.

The association with warning and threat behaviour comes from the way dogs guard items, bits of their own body etc. --> chin over the item and oblique threat.

11. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Not all dogs have white sclera (if that's the right word). I don't know if you can see it on this photo (maybe if you look hard) but this dog does not have a "white of eye" at all, her "white" is brown.

[​IMG]

here's a close-up:
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice