Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

lean kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by girlyhouse, Feb 11, 2012.

1. girlyhouse

girlyhouse PetForums Senior

My young cat doesnt seem to be growing to me. He is getting longer but very lean.I dont know if im worrying unduly and i must take his weight and monitor it.He doesnt seem to eat that much but also as i have other cats they do a bit of the going around each others bowls. he is approx 16 -18 weeks now, and i wondered if he should be tubby at this stage and how many times i should be feeding him daily and with how much? i seem to have forgotten the set up with my other cats when they were young. Any advice would be fab , thank you

2. ShelybellyandTeamC

ShelybellyandTeamC Bad Joke Generator

Could you post a pic so we can see when he/she looks like??

also could you post what you feed him brand and weight?

:D

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Well, I have got 4 cats, set feeding times and I know exactly how much each of my cats eats. Perhaps a little change in your routine (or brand of food or type of food) might mean that you know exactly what and how much your kitten/other cats eat too?

As a rule, kittens should eat little and often.

4. girlyhouse

thank you both . have just weighed him and he is 5 pounds, does that sound about normal?

5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Sounds a good weight for his age

6. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Treacle has always been long and lean, even though he's quite heavy, it depends on their body type. I think it's normal at that age for them to grow longer and then fill out later :)

#6 Treaclesmum, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  7. girlyhouse

Thank you everyone , think im just being a paranoid kitty mum,oops x

8. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

My kitten is 26 weeks old and was weighed at the vets yesterday. She weighs 2.4 kilos. I have been plotting her weight on a chart and she is within the normal parameters. She is also long and lean. 5 pounds converts to approx 2.2 kilos so I would say your kitten is the right weight for his age.

9. loobiloo

loobiloo PetForums Junior

We have two cats, from the same litter. While one of them is always hungry and consequently more on the portly side, the other is fussier and more active and has always been lean. I worried (and still do sometimes!) but the vet has reassured us that she is healthy :)

Your kitty sounds just perfect!

10. Kattkinkatt

Kattkinkatt PetForums Junior

As the others have said your cat sounds fine, they do often go through a gangly teenagerer stage where they grow, but don't seem to gain weight (i am at that stage with one of my NFC at the moment).

Even within a breed (and with mixtures more so), they can grow at differant rates.

It might help to feed seperate, as this is one of the first signs of something wrong as cats can be very good at masking problems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice