Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

leaf insects !! wanted

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by ....zoe...., Jul 26, 2009.

1. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

hi all,

i currently have 6 leaf insects (3 different types)

2 of them are the the giant leaf insects (phillium siccifolium) that look like oak leaves when full grown

the 2 i have are on their 5 moult (i believe) and the last moult they had seems to have shown me that they are 2 males NOT females (which i wanted)

sooooooo iam now on the search for at least 1 female that is a deffinate female to add to my collection as i see no point in having the males without a female and as i wanted to breed them ! also because males are soo hard to come by i didnt want these 2 to go to waste and die

sooooo if anyone has a female avaliable that they are willing to rehome i would be truly thankful

thanks anyone who can help

p.s i know u can get them on ebay but this is usually for nymphs (which wont deffinate be females) or for ova (eggs)

2. ....zoe....

so noone has any lol

does anyone know anywere else other than ebay where i could get hold of these ??

for example another forum specifically for insects ?

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Sorry can't help, my mum bought mine home when she took the kids for a day out but I think it was in Yorkshire somewhere, are you sure you can't get any more mature ones if you send a message to the sellers on Ebay who are selling the nymphs/eggs, surely they have adults that actually lay the eggs. Hope you manage to find a breeder, do you have any pictures of your insects?

4. ....zoe....

i will have a go and see if they have any to give up lol

heres some pics as asked

Attached Files:

5. thedogsmother

They are gorgeous, I don't know what type they are but I love the last picture, I do miss having them but I just have too many other animals now. I used to have three Macleays I think (like the 1st picture anyway), my mum rang to say she had bought the kids some stick insects so I pictured the little stick insects you used to see at school. I was terrified first when I saw them, I had no idea what they were and whether they could bite or were poisenous or anything, they looked like a praying mantis to me.

6. ....zoe....

lol they do look quite scary, my boyfriend wasnt too pleased when he first seen tem but he loves them now lol

the last picture is of the two oak leaf leaf insects, which is what number 2 is aswel (same leaf insects)

7. thedogsmother

Its weird cos the ones we had used to thrash their tails around if anyone but me held them, but they seemed to recognise me.

8. ....zoe....

yeh i really find that they do hav a personality no matter wat people say.

earlier i was watching one of them and it must have had an itch cos it was dessperately trying to get its leg onto its tail lol it was really funny, so i gave it a bit of help and scratched it tail and it then carried on eating lol

made me laugh :D

9. ....zoe....

my second phyllium siccifolium shead today and as i guessed it was also a male :confused:

so now iam stuck with two males that will potentially go to waste and die if i cannot get hold of a female.

iam willing to swop one of the males for a female if anyone would like one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice