Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

lead trouble

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ameca1, Jun 28, 2009.

1. ameca1

ameca1 PetForums Newbie

hi we are having trouble getting our 16 weel old puppy to use his lead putting it on is no problem but as soon as he feels it pull on him he freezes to to spot and wimpers
    please can anyone help?

2. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Just a come on command and gentle pull works, dont give in and go back to him/her tho, they soon learn that they have to go walkies, then there wil be no stopping him/her lol

3. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

providing it is a nice light weight lead you could try putting it on in the house and just letting him walk around with it trailing beside him (only when there is somebody there to supervise him that is), x

4. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I agree with the advice so far... try indoors for short spells. Treat him the second you put the lead on and the second he moves forward. Then stop, take the lead off and rest for a while, then try again.

Don't succumb to his whimpers, he's trying it on! But if you can praise him before he objects, you'll be one step ahead and he'll soon forget that he's got anything to fuss about :)

5. ameca1

ameca1 PetForums Newbie

we have tried this and continue to do so but it doesn't seem to help.

6. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

are you doing it when something good or fun is happening like feed times or when you are playing, x

7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

not much help now but you have left it quite late to be lead training. I would just insist, if he sits down keep walking, I am sure he will soon decide being on his feet is a better option. It sounds like you are a making a big deal out of it and encouraging his silly behaviour. Pups are not stupid and if it doesnt gain him anything he will soon stop.

8. ameca1

ameca1 PetForums Newbie

we only got him at 13 weeks and have had to wait for two weeks after hissecond needle totake him out.
    i've had dogs all of my life and never experienced this before.

9. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Cant say much more than what has already been adviced, we have had 3 dogs and until the last one never had a problem she hated it used to freeze or spin around, jump at the lead biting, all i did was completely ignored her didnt even look at her,she soon realised these trantrums were never going to get her anywhere.:)

10. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Keep on with advice you've already recieved, if you have a friend close by with a dog it might be helpful to have them come by and walk thier dog with yours. They get the idea a bit quicker that way.

11. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

My puppy hates his collar, I pop it on for a few hours a day, but he just scratches at it constantly. The lead is a complete no go area at the moment, even if i put it on in the house and leave it for him to wander around with he won't he'll just chew it and whine.

12. bird

bird PetForums VIP

He will get used to it Arnie was constantly scratching at his collar to start with, and get a cheapie lead for around the house. He'll get used to that too and if he chews it it dont matter so much.

13. animallover111

We had the same problem with a collar for Poppy our 6 month old SBT everytime we put a collar on her she went crazy,she rubbed and scratched and ended up with sores on her neck,we took her to the vets who recommended not letting her wear a collar we then realised Poppy's skin is sensitive and can not wear a collar hopefully she will grow out of this,we use a harness now when walking her.

14. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Have fun is the number one rule
    Run around with the dog while its on its lead, let it go where it wants with you following, praise everything good it does, even its a step.
    If it freezes, push him gently with your hand then when he starts walking carry on walking, no praise until he has done at least 5 steps.
    You could also put the lead on the pup, and when it freezes go to the other end of the garden with its fav toy or a treat and lots of encouragement, he/she should run to you and when he/she does praise it all the way!
    Good luck. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice