Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lead training!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Hb-mini, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Hi!

I have been doing a bit of lead training with Bella. Putting it on and let her run around with it attached etc but whenever i pick it up she totally freezes!! Im pretty sure this is normal, but i just wondered how long it took your pup to get used to the lead?

Thank you. xx

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

It does take a while try holding it and walking a bit with a treat just ahead of her she'll happily walk forward for the treat.

3. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

I usually hold the lead and follow them round holding it, basically like them taking you for a walk, i praise everytime they move. so they see the lead as not a restriction but as a fun game.

4. Opheliac

Opheliac PetForums Member

I've been doing the above and Motley is doing really well with it, it hasn't taken him long to get used to it at all :)

5. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Great thanks for your replys!!

I will give all the suggestions a try!!

:D

6. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

I've been doing this too but I think I've had it easy as Pippa follows Harvey and he is extremely good on the lead

Ellie x

7. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I put collar and leads on them straight away to get them used to it and practice just round the house and garden. some love it and will prance about and some hate it and just sit down! Its a case of taking it really slowly. And making it fun for both of you :D

8. amanda wright

amanda wright PetForums Newbie

you could use a long line as the dog wont realise when you pick it up. Then you can gradually shorten it so that your holding it to where a normal lead would be.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice