Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

lead pulling & digging question

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by shez11, Apr 11, 2011.

1. shez11

shez11 PetForums Junior

:blink:
    Hello me again

Just 2 questons about my 15week springer cross (sprocker) puppy???#

firstly..... last week we was dealing with a nervous walker who hid from strangers & noises... who slowly but surely grew in confidence....
    Now we r dealing with a lead puller:rolleyes::
    i am stoppin each time she pulls etc but any other help???

Also.... she has started to become a real digger:confused:

2. lexie2010

lexie2010 PetForums Senior

i have a 13mth old beagle and i taught her to walk "close" by holding treat in left hand close to thigh (or where your dog can smell it but make sure its close to your body) to keep dogs attention on you, and say close as you treat, keeps them from pulling as makes being close to you a better option than whatever its pulling to get at-usually just wanting to be ahead of you! you could also try halti/dogmatic/etc but as your pup is still young i would try to train rather than restrain.
    with regards the digging....... o yes i know how you feel, having big digger myself havent got to the end of the situation but what does work for us is putting her poo in the holes she digs deters her from continuing to dig them, and also the green jelly crystal stuff you can get in PAH is great but washes away and at £6/bottle can end up an expensive option. problem is lexie moves on and digs a new hole every so often so our garden is full of craters!!!
    have been told to provide her with a designated digging area with sand and buried surprises for her but dont know if that will teach her that she can only dig one area or if it would encourage her to dig more??? failing that, concrete your garden!!!

3. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

If she wants to get somewhere, then going the other way may work better than just stopping. I like, rewarding a heeling zone, off or on leash to; it does take fair amount of persistence to happen automatically outside training session, but does pay off eventually.

On digging supervising, and distracting onto something else when she starts will help. You may need to provide more alternative activites, she's starting to have much more energy no doubt than when you first had her.

4. mgarr

mgarr PetForums Junior

Hi Harvey is 15 weeks old and does pull on the lead the way I stop him is to stop dead and gerck the lead this can work but you need lots of time as this can take a very long tiime to do a walk, I have had 2 collie's one past away he was from a R-Home and pulled like mad but when I train him this way then he was so good on the lead.

5. tiny

tiny PetForums Member

Lexie - im so jealous. my 6 month old beagle pup couldnt care less about treats once we get to the other side of the gate. i could be holding a 6ft long hotdog sausage by my side n she still wouldnt pay any heed. i nearly launched my treat bag n clicker into the tide today cause she couldnt have cared less - lol. my beagle digs also n at our puppy class there is a gorge springer pup who digs in the sand school all the time. i cant leave honey unsupervised outside for even 2 minutes or she's digging - shes even dug the gravel driveway up. no amount of distraction works for me. if i cant be outside then neither can she.

6. lexie2010

lexie2010 PetForums Senior

yeah lexie burys toast in the gravel on the driveway :confused:
    the key to treating is to find something they love and will do anything for-surely there is something? some people use tubes of cheese paste, others use bits of cheddar, i used to use homemade livercake or sliced hotdog but now shes happy with the training treats from PAH-not so smelly and messy!there are times when foxpoo and litter are just fair more tempting than my treats and in those cases if can pre-empt them i call her back to heel make her sit and totally focus on me and then walk on using close and we can pass the offending/tempting thing she wants. dont get me wrong-you will not see me strolling along with a beautifully behaved beagle by my side for miles, :rolleyes::eek: she is allowed to sniff and walk "loose" too but i make her come to my side and walk close at intervals just to make sure she can ignore everything else and be mannerly when she needs to.
    yesterday she was an absolute demon-just intent on spending the day wrecking so i watched her like a hawk and everytime she went to dig i called her away for a treat or threw her ball and kept distracting her so garden didnt get wrecked but i know i cant (nor can anyone else) watch their dog constantly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice