UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got 'rope' burn from Benji's long line after trying to get him away from a 4 year old Border Collie.

I asked the owner before hand if it was okay for Benji to play with them, I explained how he's 10 months and likes to bounce around and her response was 'of course!' so I allowed him to go and play.

30 seconds later...

"He's scaring my dog"

:confused:

All Benji was doing to her dog was sniffing. No play had even began. So as a result, I took hold of his long line to lure him away and as I did Benji went to run away from the dog and it slipped through my hand. OWWW!

I need to learn to step on it more :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,347 Posts
Ouch :( this is why I will never use a rope lead! I take it the long line was probably flat material though but I can see how it could still give a nasty burn if the dog takes off whilst it's in your hand! Flexi leads can give a nasty burn as well if you're as stupid as me and grab the line :rolleyes:

When i'm lead shopping, I always look for one with a comfy, padded handle, [email protected] do a really good one that has black grippy squishy stuff on the handle, that is a very comfy lead :) not very long though, but used to like using it for my mum and dads Patterdale as he is a terrible puller, and needs to be kept on a fairly short lead anyway.

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
I second the gloves to stop lead burn.

Not through own experience but I regularly see a dog walker, being pulled along and he always has a glove on his hand holding the lead. It looks mighty strange in summer when he is shorts a t shirt, but obviously works for him. Unless its his permanent tribute to Michael Jackson.

·
Registered
930 Posts
In the kennels we always used rope leads as they were convenient and we could loop them through our belts. Never had a problem with them. Its flexis I hate, remember when myself and a colleague were bringing a family of dogs, one of the leads snapped we both lunged and grabbed it. Sliced across both our palms and the back of my knee (through jeans).

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I tie a knot in my long lines, one every meter or so, that way when I tread on them rather than using downward pressure to stop the line I just have to wait for a knot to hit my foot and anchor in place.

Hope your hand gets better soon!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Pair of gloves stop the rope burn :) I've never managed the art of stepping on the line.
Me neither I try to remember gloves and I've invested in a walking belt from Indi-dog after a similar experience. It also helps as Jackson (13.5 kg) can't feel my angst grabbing the lead. Have to say I look as if I'm about to scale the north face of the Eiger!! and some of the leaps and pirouettes involved to prevent me getting hog tied are pretty entertaining I would think:eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.