Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

lazy puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Livesey, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Livesey

Livesey PetForums Member

anyone else have a lazy puppy? Skyy will make some sort of signal i.e a woof/whine when he needs to go outside for a wee (he did this automtically once house trained, we didn't teach him this) however quite often he will woof or whine so we get up to let him out and he will not move from the front room even though we both know he needs to go. We either then have to wait for him to start a woof again in a couple of minutes or do everything we can to persuade him to come outside where we will do a wee lol Sooo lazy! anyone else got a dog like this?

2. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Hmm, puppies shouldn’t really be lazy. What age and breed is he, does he seem lethargic? Does he get a lot of exercise? Has he had a full medical check-up just to check everything is okay?

#2 Dober, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  3. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Hate to say it but that was my first thought.. Does he walk ok?
    Oh and pickies are a must :)

#3 XxZoexX, Jan 29, 2012
  4. Livesey

Livesey PetForums Member

Most definately not lethargic :D he's a 5 month old border collie, he gets plenty of exercise, mentally stimulated in the house as we are always training him and he gets one good 45-1 hour long walk a day, mainly off lead. hmm, I wasn't really worried about it, but now I wonder if I should be?

5. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Maybe you're just lucky! ;) Might be worth a just checkup though, just incase.

6. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

I don't know if it's anything to worry about :confused: but Alfie does similar sometimes; in that I know he must need a wee as it's been ages since he's gone out but he can't be bothered to move off the sofa to go and have one as 1. he's too comfortable and 2. he knows it will be cold out there ;)

I have to quite often (only in the evenings though funnily enough) tempt him outside with treats when he will always wee so I know he did need to go :rolleyes: During the day he'll always go out on his own or whine at the back door if it's closed for someone to come and open it :)

7. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

I hope not I just haven't come across a lazy pupster either especially a BC tho I could very well be wrong and hope I am :)
    I would definatly mention it to the vet just to make sure there isn't another reason he isn't getting up at that time iykwim x

ETA have to add my last pup was/is a Spanner.. Don't think he has a stop button so I may totally off the mark x

#7 XxZoexX, Jan 29, 2012
  8. Livesey

Livesey PetForums Member

Phew! i'm not alone! come to think of it, most of the time its in the evening, to be fair when its cold out there I don't think i'd want to go out either :eek: I don't think there's anything wrong, its litterally like he can't be assed to get up and go outside!

9. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I wouldnt worry. All pups are different.

When Monty was a pup my parents said he was mental, always on the go, chewing the sofa! etc.. lol
    When my friend got a GSD pup 2 years ago he was completly different. He was much calmer, prefered toys as aposed to sofas!, not food orientated at all etc...

10. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

To be honest it's never occured to me that there could be anything wrong either with Alfie :confused: we just always put it down to him being a sleepy head and being far too comfy on the sofa with us ;) He generally snoozes on and off all evening from about 5.00pm, after his evening walk, apart from waking for his dinner, until we go to bed when he'll then take himself off to his crate.

I'm wondering now if it's something I should be concerned about!

11. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Growing puppies do require a lot of sleep, but it could be down to the amount of exercise, diet, temperament or a medical issue.

My collie will get up from a deep sleep straight away at the snap of my fingers, but my dobe takes a few seconds after asking.

I wouldn’t say it’s something which rings huge alarm bells for me if he's generally fine in himself, but I'd definitely bring it up with the vet just to rule anything out.

Didnt mean to give you a scare! :)

12. Livesey

Livesey PetForums Member

See I was thinking he was just lazy, cause everytime that he does bark he does a wee when we go outside, so we put it down to him woofing as he needs to go out but the current toy/warmth or the house is far nicer than actually going out for a wee.

13. Livesey

Livesey PetForums Member

That's okay, always worth a mention to the vet, we are off for his 6 monthly check up in two weeks so will mention it then. thanks :)

14. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Just getting your attention I would say. :D
    Training his humans ;)

15. ginge2804

ginge2804 PetForums VIP

Molly can be lazy... If were around the MIL's dog, or we are playing with her, then she is excitable and always running and jumping around (unless we try and play with her when she is sleeping) But other then that, once she is asleep, she sleeps for hours :p
    But if you say wee wee, shes straight up like a shot :p
    She goes for a half hour to an hours walk a day (she is only a little dog) and this seems to do her well, cuz she runs around a lot in the house :)
    If your doggy has been like this since you got him, I wouldnt worry :) Its probably just his personality.. If he has suddenly become lazy, then I may worry... :)

16. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I don't think he's being lazy - he's training you....!!

If he whines put him out.

A friend of mine has a collie pup about the same age as yours and she's taught her to rattle the child gate when she wants to go for a wee. Said friend has been giving pup a tit-bit when she rattles the gate.....of course now she's doing it every five minutes whether she wants to go out or not.

That's the collie brain for you - if you don't train them, they train you....LOL

17. Livesey

Livesey PetForums Member

oh we do take him out, just if you give him the chance he would happily not go out.

The moment he whines we take him out, we feel bad sometimes as we feel like we have to take him by his collar to get him out, the only reward he gets is us praising him for wee'ing as he's not long been house trained.

18. sashski

sashski PetForums Senior

19. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I know exactly what you're saying as I have a rescue BC pup slightly younger than yours who is also being house-trained.

They're extremely smart little cookies - mine lays down and wriggles when I say "do you want to go for a wee" with the doleful puppy eyes - don't be fooled.....:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice