Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Latest update on Chip

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rosie64, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

Well he had his 6 week check up last week , bloods , urine and poop samples tested and all came back fine no problems from meds .
    Overall he is doing very well considering the Neurologist gave me the impression that he would be paralyzed fairly soon if he didn't have the op.
    The Tramadol the Neurologist put him on ( along with the Gapapentin and Galaprant ) have been a life saver for him and are still keeping his pain under control .
    He is eating and drinking well and still wants to go for walks although he can only manage short walks now , he also still want's to play now and again but again not for as long as he did .
    Don't really know if this is because of pain , just a bit of discomfort or tiredness because of all the drugs he is on or a mix of all of the above , but I let him set the pace for all exercise and play .
    He still has problems with pooing and peeing but the vet sorts that out without being to invasive .
    He is deteriorating slowly , his bouts of incontinence are getting more frequent but not drastically and do not cause him any stress as he doesn't realise he is doing it and are no big deal to me .
    His back right leg has started giving way under him ,not very often at the moment and does not seem to cause him any discomfort or pain , he is up in a second and carrying on as if nothing has happened.
    He is still enjoying life . he does have days when he is quiet and doesn't want to do anything except cuddle on the sofa and that is fine too .
    Have been told by my vet after a long chat that he could tick along the way he is now with slow deterioration for an indefinite period or something could go suddenly they can't really say .
    So we are still taking things as they come day to day and trying to enjoy the time we have whatever amount that may be .
    Me I am not doing so well , my depression and anxiety are through the roof , I am constantly on edge watching and waiting for something bad to happen . I can't sleep because I am frightened of waking up to find him paralyzed beside me .
    I am terrified of catching Covid ( which I know I wouldn't survive as I already have lung problems ) and leaving him behind . None of my family could take him for various reasons and they certainly couldn't afford his vet care , his medication is over a £100 a month that is without his other treatment he has to have to keep him comfortable and I don't want him to think that I have deserted him when he needs me the most . I am crying all the time and feel so useless and I don't no what to do .
    You will all probably think that I am being stupid but I can't stop these thoughts going round in my head .
    Sorry it's so long and thanks for reading .

Sarah H and tabelmabel like this.
  2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

@Rosie64 you are not being stupid this is a very anxious time for you. It sounds as though he is comfortable at the moment it is very easy for me to say and hard to do but try to relax and enjoy him. He would not want you to be sad. Big hugs from boxer HQ.

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I certainly don't think you are being stupid. Would your fears be less if the Cinnamon Trust were involved?
    http://cinnamon.org.uk/casestudies/

Glad to hear that Chip is skipping along unaware of all the drama surrounding him :)

Happy Paws2, Sarah H, Torin. and 6 others like this.
  4. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Thank you for the update Rosie - only yesterday I was wondering how Chip was.

Your anxiety is completely understandable and you are not being stupid. I went through a long bout of health anxiety after having George and I know just how crippling it can be. I do think it might help you to have a plan in place should something happen to you. This can just help clear our minds that we have done everything in our power to make arrangements for our loved ones in the event of our passing. I agree with Rona that contacting the Cinnamon Trust is a good idea - that way you know that someone will take him if something happens to you. It is also worth letting your family know what arrangements you have made. This all sounds morbid, but it helped with my anxiety once I started taking actions to put my will together.

As for anxiety, our minds have a habit of catastrophising things when we are suffering with it. I tend to try and flip it round, so at the moment you are getting your crystal ball out and predicting disaster, but I say you need to predict something nice. Imagine that Chip lives for a good while longer, and one day he passes away peacefully in his sleep, pain free and warm and comfortable. Imagine that we get through this pandemic (we will) and we can once again go out and see our loved ones. Fill your mind with positive thoughts as these are the most helpful to us.

If you want to talk in private then I am very happy for your to PM me. Sending you big hugs from over here xxx.

5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I'm so glad Chip is doing well but sorry to hear about you. I don't have anything practical to add to the advice above but hope contacting Cinnamon Trust helps.

6. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

You're under a huge amount of stress atm, @Rosie64 . It's horrible to watch a family member slowly decline, so feelings of helplessness, anxiety and depression are horrible but entirely understandable consequences of that.

Thanks for the update on Chip. But please take care of yourself, too.

Sarah H, Burrowzig, margy and 3 others like this.
  7. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh Rosie, you are so welcome on here to pour your heart out whenever you need.
    It seems that Chip has exceeded expectations in carrying on beyond Chrstmas and stll enjoying life.
    I agree with contacting the Cinnamon Trust, and also the Dogs Trust have a similar facility open to members.
    Praying for Chip's continued comfort and your peace of mind.xx

8. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

I have been thinking of you almost every day and wondering how things are so it is lovely to find this update here today.

9. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Oh pleased that Chip is doing well, all things considered. It is very understandable that you are stressed and worried and it's hard in the current pandemic not to have negative thoughts. Sending a hug to you and Chip.

10. margy

margy PetForums VIP

Thank you for your update, I was also wondering how you are doing. It's good to read Chip is ticking along and pain free. As has been said try not to worry too much about the future, make some plans just in case and to set your mind at ease, but then take it one day at a time.

Sarah H likes this.
  11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Oh @Rosie64 I am so happy to hear how well Chip is doing, all thanks to you and your loving dedicated care. However I am deeply sorry to hear of your distress and anxiety. How I had hoped you could relax and just enjoy these precious extra months with your beloved Chip and not worry about anything else. Do you take anything, or do anything for you anxiety? Listen to serenity tapes? Take Rescue Remedy, if you don't want to take any hard drugs for it?

I find Rescue Remedy really helps take the edge off. Please, stay around here, post more often, maybe it will help you. XXXXXX

12. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

I echo all that has been said above and send virtual hugs to both you and Chip. xx

13. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Lovely to hear Chip is doing so well coping with his challenges. He is a real trouper bless him.

Rosie it’s no wonder you are struggling. We all have sleepless nights and worry ourselves silly over more minor issues.
    I have no idea how I would cope in your shoes. Your care for Chip is amazing. Don’t be too hard on yourself.
    Sorry no idea how to help you feel better, wish I could.

14. winter

winter PetForums Senior

Your worry and anxiety is understandable, glad Chip is doing ok, loads of hugs to you

Happy Paws2 and lorilu like this.
  15. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Senior

So pleased to hear that little Chip is doing so well.Well done to you for the incredible care and companionship you give him.
    Sorry to hear that you're not feeling good.It's a very stressful time in general at the moment and added to your concerns about Chip's present and future, it's not surprising that it all adds up to a really difficult time for you.I think the advice about contacting the Cinnamon Trust is really good and also suggestions on how to help with your own well being.
    I know it won't lessen the fears/concerns that you have but I think a lot of us have to work hard at not turning into right worry buckets when our best pals show real signs of aging.Maci is really slowing down and, although I don't think they are causing him any pain,his old teeth seem to be letting him down now.I have to stop myself becoming really distressed when I see him unable to eat a treat that, until recently,he would have relished.It brings tears to my eyes,even as I type this but he happily and enthusiastically accepts alternatives that are easier to eat.So I have to remind myself that he is an old boy but he is still enjoying life,he loves his outings,we sniff and stroll rather than walk much these days,he enjoys food,he's super affectionate and loves his comfy cuddle time.I can't mourn the loss of him because he's very much still here.He is carefully monitored by his vet and like Chip,he's doing much better than we could ever have hoped for.In reality,I know how lucky we are to still be enjoying the company of this remarkable little dog but that doesn't stop us worrying about him.As for Maci,and Chip too I am sure,they are just getting on with life, being comfortable and cared for.As I said,I know this won't stop you worrying but you are doing a great job and Chip is a lucky little boy.

16. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

So glad to hear that Trooper Chip is doing so well Rosie but sorry to hear how your feeling. To be honest right now I personally know 2 others who are feeling exactly the same way for various reasons. This dam virus/pandemic/lockdown is playing havoc with even people I would never have thought would take it so hard so don't think your alone in the way your feeling at present because you sure aren't I promise you. Just everything down in our lives seems multiplied at present.
    Dear Chip is here with you now & only due to what your have done for him, not just recently but throughout his life. When you look at him think to your self he is here now, he is pain free, he is eating & playing (albeit more low key nowadays) there will be a time for grieving but that time is not now while the Wonderdog is still beside you. Be as kind to yourself as Chip would be if he could tell you how grateful he is to you.
    I, & I'm sure others on here, can understand your worry about Chip being left alone if anything were to happen to you & honestly if I were you I would speak with the Blue Cross help line (they are like the Samaritans for doggie owners ) They may be able to point you in a direction you had not thought of as regards worrying about Chip be left if something did happen to you. You can telephone them or email them, this is from their website :
    • Please don't hesitate to call us on 0800 096 6606 if you'd like to talk. Please note that due to the nature of the helpline and to keep your call confidential, we are unable to call you and cannot see your phone number if you call us.
    • Email us at pbssmail@bluecross.org.uk. and we'll respond within 48 hours
    Alternatively you could call the Cinnamon Trust, as suggested by others, & talk things over with them regarding if anything happened to you.

Please don't feel you are alone, we are all on here because of our love of our animals & to help each other in any way we can. The offer to PM me as well as others is there as well. Give the Wonderdog & little hug from me please.

tabelmabel and Sarah H like this.
  17. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

Thank you ALL so much for your such kind words and suggestions and offers of help , it really is appreciated .

To answer a few questions that have been asked
    Chip has been registered with the Cinnamon Trust for the past 4 years , for them to take him when my time comes , but that was done before all of his current problems came to light .
    I have not updated them on his current medical problems I am frightened to in case they say they can not take him , I know I have to do it but I keep putting it off .
    I am not even sure that it would be a good idea any way , I am not being big headed when I say this but , I really do not think he would settle with any one else , he will not interact with people he knows and loves ( my family ) when I am not around let alone strangers .
    If I have to go any where for any length of time my daughter usually goes to spend time with him and he just lays on the bed waiting for me to come back , they fetch him out and he just goes straight back in again , won't eat , drink doesn't want to go for a walk or any thing no matter what they try .
    2/3 years ago I went away for what was supposed to be for a week and my son stayed at mine to look after Chip and did everything for him as I would have and Chip did not eat , drink , would not play or go for walks just either laid on my bed watching the door or laid by the front door crying .
    My son tried taking him up on his lap for cuddles and he wasn't interested and went straight back to his place on the bed or by the door in the end I had to cut my trip short and go home
    the minuet I walked through the door he had a few mad minuets and went and ate his food had a drink and curled up on my lap as if nothing had happened .
    He had gone 3 days without food and with very little water just what my son had managed to more or less force into him.
    I don't want to take his life from him that he has fought so hard for most of his life while he is still has a good quality of life and is still able to enjoy it , really I don't but I can't help but think maybe it would be better to PTS now before any of it becomes an issue .
    Then I think am I thinking that for him or for me because at the moment I am finding it hard to cope and looking for an easy way out , I love this little boy so much and I really do want to do what is best for him , but my head is such a mess I don't trust my own thinking any more .
    I am sorry I went into a waffle there but I am hoping that writing it all down and reading it through and any thoughts you all may have will help me to sort things out in my head .

Also @lorilu I have been on anti depressants for years , I have made a phone consult with the doctor for next week to discuss my current mental state , I know I need help although I don't like admitting it

Again sorry for it being so long and for waffling on . Thank you if you have read to the end

tabelmabel likes this.
  18. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

@Rosie64 please try not to worry about how Chip would cope without you. I know someone who said the same, her dog wouldn't settle etc This was based on times that the dog was left with her daughter whilst she received treatment for terminal cancer.
    This lady also discussed with having her dog PTS when she died with the vets much to the families dismay.

Anyway when she passed away, the dog did go and live with her daughter and two grandsons. Which was a totally different household than he was used to just him and his owner and he was getting on for 10 years old. Quite old for his breed too.

He actually settled really well, became a very active member of the family and was loved by them very much till he passed away at 16 years of age.

Am sure he never forgot his previous owner, but he quickly overcame the worry and stress of not being with her. He was very difficult at first, but looking back in a short time in all fairness

19. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

He sounds like he’s ticking along nicely and your worries are understandable.

Hopefully, any further serious downturn in his health will make a decision whether to let him carry on much clearer to make so try to focus on the here and now.

I’d also be inclined to set in place arrangements for him to join you if you should go before him to take away the worry of him coping without you.

20. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

This. I think this would be the best thing for you both tbh.

Rosie, I am glad you are going to be speaking to the doctor about your mental health - it is so important that you have that support.

Take each day one at a time, try not to think too far ahead and just enjoy your days together. And you can always pour your heart out here as there is always someone willing to listen xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice