Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Latest pics of my Chile

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by patsyking, Apr 9, 2008.

1. patsyking

patsyking PetForums Junior

Here are some pics of my Chile that were taken yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Salsa's mom

Salsa's mom PetForums Newbie

What a beautiful spider. We got our first Chili Rose yesterday and are just getting to know her.
    We have read lots of differing opinions about how to care for them what their tanks should have and so on.:confused:

3. patsyking

I keep mine on eco earth, bone dry with just a water bowl ( if the spider is 3" or more in size) and overfill the bowl slightly once a week. They don't like it damp underfoot at all. A hide of a half a flowerpot would be good for the spider and I feed her one cricket three times a week but Chile's are known to go off their food for weeks at at time but its nothing to worry about. Mine has'nt eaten now since the end of February. If you keep it in a room with central heating and the room is a comfy temperature for you then the spider will be comfy too. They don't take a lot of looking after and are one of the easiest to care for. I don't handle mine, she is purely for looking at. Some people like to handle them but its best for the spider not to be handled in case of falls which can kill them.

4. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

OMG:eek::eek::eek: sorry guys but thats nasty!!!:eek:

5. Salsa's mom

Thanks for the advice patsyking. We have had our spider 3 days now and she hasn't eaten yet. Should we take the cricket out or leave it in?

6. patsyking

I would take the cricket out. Beings as you have only had the spider for three days it is still probably settling in to its new surroundings. Dont worry about it not eating as they can go for months without eating. Just so long as the abdomen is nice and plump. Make sure it has a water bowl though if its big enough. How big is the spider? If its under 3" then don't give it a water bowl, just mist the side walls of its home every couple of days but don't let the substrate get wet. Take the cricket out and then try again with food in a weeks time.

7. Salsa's mom

Thanks. Her abdomen looks pretty plump. At the monet she has a water dish with a sponge in, that came with the tank when we bought her.

I noticed this morning that she has spun some web behind her log. Do you think there is a chance she is going to moult?

8. patsyking

I would take the sponge out of the water dish, a sponge is a breeding ground for bacteria. Just put a small pebble in the water bowl. The pebble is more to stop the crickets you feed her from drowning but will also stop any water getting into her book lungs if she should spread herself right over the dish. So long as she is 3" or longer she'll be fine with that. Is there a big dark patch on the abdomen? Usually the abdomen swells right up and goes very dark before a moult. Any chance you can take a picture of the web she has made? Having had my Chile for only four months I don't know what their moulting mats will look like but if you can take a picture I can find out from someone else if it looks like a moulting mat she has spun. Chiles will spin a web on the ground to sit and eat off, though but that usually happens once they have caught the prey. I put a cricket in for mine this morning and she just raised her legs and let the cricket run under her so she is'nt going to eat again today so when I can see the cricket again ( as she was in her hide at the time) I'll take it straight out. She hasn't eaten since the end of February.

9. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

thats a spider most people wouldn't want to find in their bath tub :)
    beautiful creatures tho.
    have any of you spriders ever escaped?

10. patsyking

No, I've had none escape...........yet. :)
    You've got quite a collection of pets there!

11. Salsa's mom

Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

I have taken the cricket out.
    I have tried to photograph the web but you can't really see it. It is maily on the floor and a bit on the side of her log. She has been sat in the same spot all day from what I can tell. The blad patch on her abdomen looks darker than the rest of her.

12. patsyking

The web sounds normal to me from what describe. Chiles are notorious for not eating for months on end and staying in one place for hours or days on end too so they get called rocks LOL. If she has a hide in the tank and she is about to moult chances are she'd web herself in her hide. Mine has a dark spot just where the carapace joins the abdomen but she's had that ever since I've had her. The abdomen will really swell up and look much too big for her before she moults.

13. roadshredder

roadshredder PetForums Junior

hi guys, you may have read my thread about getting my first spider? i have done lots of research and have nearly finished setting up my vivarium, basically, its a glass viv 30cm square with about 6 inches of substrate of peat which i got from the spider shop online, a small water dish with gravel in to make it shallower and ive made a really attractive 'den' from half a plant pot with moss round it, the thing is, the heat mat they provided me with isnt heating the viv up at all and the substrate is still damp from mixing, any ideas?

14. bee112

bee112 PetForums VIP

ha ha I just opened this thread thinking there was going to be pics of little kittens or pups... sh*t myself!!
    :eek:

15. patsyking

I have a Chile Rose and a Mexican Red Knee and I don't use a heatmat with either of them. If they are kept in a room that is centrally heated and you feel comfy in that room then the spider will too. I do think though that glass tanks for them are colder for them than plastic tanks. Sorry I can't help any more as I have no experience of heatmats.

16. pumpkinette

pumpkinette PetForums Junior

Nice pics of Fangy Mum :D

17. patsyking

Thanks Leanne:)

18. xXHoneybunchesXx

xXHoneybunchesXx PetForums Newbie

Oh my friggin God!! Look at it's....fur! xXx

19. jen1302

jen1302 PetForums Junior

Great pics love rosie, a rosie was my first and gotta say there the best.

20. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

Lovely looking spider!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice