Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Latest Ozzie dilemma

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Bellarina, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Bellarina

Bellarina PetForums Member

Another thread about Ozzie, but not an emotional one this time!:D

Mum and I are going on holiday in May and we are taking Toby (our dog) with us. The cats all stay at home and we have a frind that comes and checks on them and feeds them twice a day so no problems there. Our problem is Ozzie and his medication. We've only been away together once since we've had him and we thought the best solution was to put him in a cattery. Although they weren't too keen on the whole medication thing they did do it, but when he came home we had months and months of him peeing and pooing everywhere. We can only assume it's because of being shut in an enclosed area and him never been litter trained- he just will not use one. It's only recently that he has started going outside to do it again.

So we are very reluctant to put him in a cattery again and we can't leave him at home as he might not be around for our friend to give him his medication.

So any suggestions? Does anyone ever take their cats on holiday? How does that work?

2. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

If its poss I would take him with you.

3. popoki

popoki PetForums Member

But if he's not litter trained I imagine it would be difficult to keep him in any kind of holiday accommodation?

Do you have anyone that could come and stay in the house for you that would be happy to give him his medication too?

When we went away we used to get my OHs sister to come and stay in the house and look after the cats!

4. Bellarina

We don't have anyone that could stay here sadly. I agree having him in accommodation when he doesn't use a litter tray is probably not going to work.

The only thing we can think of is to shut in a room in the house so our friend can give him his meds. But that seems really cruel to keep him shut in one room for a whole week just so we can go away.

5. popoki

popoki PetForums Member

I'd go for the cattery option in that case.

Either way he'll be frustrated at being confined, but at least at the cattery he'll have more fuss and attention round the clock rather than just twice a day. If it were me, given his condition I'd be much happier knowing there was someone keeping an eye on him.

6. Bellarina

It might have to be that option. And we will have to deal with his toilet issues when we get back. Thanks for the advice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice