Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lateral thinking??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by catz4m8z, Jun 30, 2010.

1. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

How are your dogs at problem solving??
    Seeing as how Im a useless trainer mine really dont do much on command but I have noticed one of them (Heidi) looks at things very differently to the other 2.For example;
    Stairs- Adam and Hannah followed the route of going up, getting stuck, falling down them lots as puppies but Heidi practiced going up and down slowly increasing the amount of stairs she did so she never got stuck.
    Garden wall- Heidi has worked out how to climb the various bits of furniture to see over whereas the other 2 just stand at the bottom and bark!:rolleyes:
    Doggy barrier- I have wooden panels I slide into the doorframes if I want to keep the dogs out of a certain room. One is at the bottom of the stairs leading into the front room and totally thwarts Adam and Hannah but Heidi has figured out she can stand on the bottom stair and jump over at an angle!

I never really thought of her as clever coz she is so excitable and bouncy all the time but she does seem to see things the other 2 dont!:)

2. PedigreeUK

PedigreeUK PetForums Member

That's really interesting - Heidi's able to think of other ways around problems. It sounds as though she's pretty smart. Do Adam and Hannah copy her, once she's found a solution?

Wispa's worked out one or two things - she will now nudge open a door that's pushed to, for example.

But I once owned a cat that worked out how to use door handles - I don't think Wispa's ever going to be as smart as that cat! (Shhh - don't tell her I said so! ;))

Janet

3. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Otto is much better at problem solving than Alfie.

e.g. when Otto was a pup and we had the stair gate at the bottom of the stairs to keep him down he pulled stuff out from under the stairs until it was high enough for him to climb up to the side of the stairs (above the gate) and squeezed between the bars onto the stairs.

When the two of them are running around the woods together Otto will always pick out the easiest route and will go the long way round a wall to find a low point whereas Alfie tends to move in a straight line to his destination crashing through/over anything in his path!:rolleyes:

Otto is definitely the brains of the operation and Alfie is the brawn!:D

4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I dont think it would even occur to them to copy her!! Its just interesting to me that dogs of the same breed can have such different approaches to overcoming an obstacle!:D

5. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Throp's smart but also lazy so it all depends if he can be bothered, he was first to conquer the stairs and realise he could jump into the car boot or on my bed :lol:. Hector was much slower at picking up basic obedience commands than Throp but turns out he is clever after all as he's learnt to lift the handle up on the dog/baby gate with his mouth to be able to open it, if we've forgotten to close it fully so it locks. One of them figured out how to open the fridge so that has to have a baby lock on now too, thankfully both times were bare fridge days.

6. PedigreeUK

PedigreeUK PetForums Member

Eeek! :eek: That's quite a feat. Good job you hadn't just done a big shop! :D

I sometimes think Wispa likes to see if she can get me to give her a treat just by turning on the charm. But I suspect this is all in my imagination!

Janet

7. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

I've no idea how they did it and the 1st time presumed i mustn't of shut the fridge properly. I'm not sure what would of been worse loosing the food or dealing with the after effects of them eating it, but they only chewed the packaging to a ping meal and something else 1st time and had some salad & eggs the 2nd

I'll have to film Hector opening the dog gate sometime, its quite impressive. It often had me confused until my OH spotted how he did it one day

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice