Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Late registrations?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by pearltheplank, Mar 28, 2011.

1. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

I have noticed several late registraions in the BRS, often months after litter was originally registered and 1 more dog is registered to the litter.

Can someone enlighten me on why breeders do this? There must be a simple and legitimate reason or the KC wouldn't allow it but I am struggling, especially with it being Monday morning, to think of a suitable reason?

2. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Could be a whole host of reasons I guess - Breeders can register pups any time - before 12 months it is just the basic fee - after 12 months I think it is about £60.

I have heard of some ABS breeders having problems with registrations because the KC have lost certificates / not on their records etc - but I have to say - they really seem to have got their act together on this now - my girls hips and elbows were on there within a week - and because the vet is a distance away and I haven't been well - I've not collected my certificates yet :eek: (there is a VERY good reason why I don't allow them to go in the post after my boys plates got lost for 3 months :( )

It could be the breeder has sold the pups as unregistered - and latterly registered them for some reason - I don't think it would cover re-imports as I am pretty sure they are identified as such.

As I said at the beginning, I am sure there are a myriad of reasons, but apart from the issue with certificates etc - I can't honestly say I can think of too many positive ones (but I could be wrong !)

3. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

It could be that one or even more pups in a litter haven't been thought good enough for show or breed so they didn't register them but as the pup grows might have come right or improved enough to be considered good enough for showing or breeding so was registered late.

I do know of someone who had a litter of chi's and one pup was overshot and tiny so wasn't registered as it wasn't thought that he would make it. The pup went off unregistered but could have been registered later if the jaw came right.

4. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

I cant personally think of an ethical reason as to why one pup would be added to an already registered litter, all pups should be registered at the same time..pet quality or not.

Only one good reason I have heard is a breeder not believe one of the pups would survive when registering the litter at 5/6 weeks so didnt register it with them, it did survive and was later added.

5. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I can understand the breeder not registering a pup if they felt it wouldn't survive - but as soon as it was known - why wouldn't they register it?

I am a little perplexed as to where the jaw comes into it - the breeder either breeds KC registered pups or it doesn't surely - it would have known long before 12 months that the pup was going to survive - so could easily have added it to the litter registration :confused:

6. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

Swarthy - to me thats what you call a breeder hiding faults in their lines, sending pups off without their name on it..UNLESS it was to meet the standard in time :(

7. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I reckon you're spot on there, I remember reading a critique from a so called well respected judge, the opening paragraph said that they were shocked to find so many incorrect things/faults and believed that such dogs should be sent off as unregistered pets.

8. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

could be AB who has sold the puos unregistered and someones bubbled them and they've back tracked and registered the pups late

9. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

could be AB who has sold the pups unregistered and someones bubbled them and they've back tracked and registered the pups late;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice