Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Late evening walking

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Apr 25, 2011.

1. rona

rona Guest

#1 rona, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2011
  2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Home.

I tend to feel anxious at all times on walks, regardless of where i go and what time.

If i hear voices, i tend to hide :eek:

I wont go anywhere where there are youths. Id rather not walk at all, and is one reason i can no longer go on a route i used to really like.

3. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

Theres a feild just across the road to me, that leads onto more feilds and deep into country feilds. During evening walks, I only use the first feild and pretty much all around the feild it backs onto peoples back gardens. Just makes me feel a little safer that people are close, and could hear if anything were to happen. I hate walking as it gets dark - but I feel pretty safe in our area and know most people.

#3 Devil-Dogz, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  4. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

I know how you feel but with 2 Great Danes I feel pretty safe - but I tend to take them to the countryside, up the Pentlands or through wooded areas. If it is winter I usually go out a little earlier or meet up with other dog walkers but I can often be found trekking through the fields with a strong torch!

Is there no-one in your area that you could meet up with to go on that last walk of the day?

5. rona

rona Guest

There probably are, but I don't think they would keep up with us, we walk very fast ;)
    It really doesn't worry me and I quite often walk with OH

6. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

lol - my son says the same thing about me - I walk too fast! ;)

7. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I should feel safe here, its very rural but I wouldn't like to walk at night, the silence is spooky-I'd also worry about bumping into wild Boar

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I don't feel safe walking anywhere at night to be honest, I don't even like taking her out for a late-night pee (but I do of course) :eek: I'm just a scardy-cat really! And my fluffy white rat doesn't exactly boost my confidence if anything were to happen! :rolleyes:

9. I walk pretty much anywhere in the dark. I usually go onto the field I go to during the day. There are usually quite alot of teenagers about sitting at the entrance to the field drinking from cans and smoking weed but They don't bother me at all. Infact they are more scared of us than me scared of them although mabe if I owned smaller breeds I wouldn't feel quite so confident out with them. I actually prefer walking at night than during the day as there are too many people with out of control dogs during the day. I have a much more peaceful walk at night. I do miss my middle walk though where I meet up with other regular dog walkers but its just too hot for my lot.

10. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Its not so much not feeling safe but I just don't know where the areas to be careful of are round here. I tend to do a proper walk in the morning and just take them round where we live in the evening and don't bother with the car. There is never any about walking in the evenings round here but I wouldn't fancy leaving my car in any desertedish area.

Where we lived before I used to get in from work at 11pm and take Rupert out, was lovely :)

11. shells

shells PetForums VIP

i take buster out late we always come across youths everywhere. i take him to the local rugby n footy feilds where there is verry little lighting . lukily im a big girl and am confident so dont get aproched by anyone. plus buster will growl at any male that comes to close iv yet to meet a male that will walk past me in the evaning they always cross over before getting to us :D

12. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

I am not bothered really. The nights are so much lighter now anyway, to take advantage of. I just find that now, with the lighter nights and warm weather the usual walking spots I like in the evening are so very busy with people re motobikes and all sorts so I end up trying to find somewhere peaceful which is difficult. When the nights do get dark again I am going to invest in a whistle and a torch to make myself feel a bit more protected, been meaning to a while.

13. rona

rona Guest

See, I think a torch just advertises where you are

14. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

I normally walk with the OH in the evenings, its our chill together time, a chance to talk about our day and giggle at the dogs.

we live quite rural so it's quite easy not to bump into many people even so if I am on my own I stick to the busier routes, ie main high street in village and dont use the alleyways which cut through but walk the long way round. Although someone would have to be silly to try anything with Millie in one hand and Makita in the other.

15. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I just dont go out with them after dark. Luckily they are happy to use the garden or puppy pads last thing at night so I dont have to.
    Its not just the dodgy, drunken, druggy hoody types hanging around but also the fact that I cant see any broken glass....and there is always tons where I live.:rolleyes:

16. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

if i walk at ducs like i did the other night its in the fields over the road a bit and i feel safe there are bats in the field and i know LOADS of people that will not go by them fields with Bats! lol

But i always have my phone on me and i can put hubby on the other end of the line very quickly he also knows where i go so i have a "backup"

17. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I'm too scared to go out at night for more than a round the block pee (for the dog, not me!!!).

So in the hot summer we often get up from 5-6am to do a proper walk, and our afternoon walk is timed so that we finish just before sun sets.

18. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

i would absolutely patch my pants if anyone suggested doing that to me :lol:

i dont even feel safe walking the streets at 10.30 in the morning let alone at dusk/night.

19. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I disappear off into the countryside, far less likelihood of chavs etc; I feel much safer.

20. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Agreed and restricts your vision to a small patch of bright light...night vision and all your other senses develop fantastically on all but the darkest night. I do carry a torch that I could turn on and shine into someone's face though as protection :).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice