Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Late booster

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by poppysmum, May 5, 2011.

1. poppysmum

poppysmum PetForums Junior

Hi all,

I've just found Poppy's vac's card and I've messed up. I thought she was due her booster this month but it's her kennel cough, her booster was actually due last nov.
    Is there a chance I could have caused her any harm as I've still been taking her on walks. :(

2. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

No harm whatsoever! Scientific evidence states that yearly boosters are no longer needed, if you want to give them at all, every 3 years is often enough.

Also, the kennel cough vaccine is 'live' and your dog can pass kennel cough on to other dogs for up to two weeks after recieving this vaccine.

3. poppysmum

Thankyou for that. I was worried that I'd maybe have made her sick.:)

I'm having to get her booster done as she is going to a petsitter and they have said she need to have upto date vacs.

4. alyssa_liss

alyssa_liss PetForums VIP

just to let you know that our new dog was overdue his booster and we just took him this week to have them done again. he has had to start again as there is nothing left to boost . so one injection this week then another in 2-4 weeks

5. No problem! some of the manufacturers now acknowledge that the booters do not have to be done annually!
    And as for KC we only have this if they are going into kennels or there is an outbreak in the area. It is the one that is done by the nasel and not always done automatically with the nocs anyway! Least with our vets its not!

6. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

When we got Millie we were told she had had her puppy Vacs, the showed us the card but upon collecting her he forgot to give it to us. we got in cotnact with the vet she was previouslly registered at but they wouldnt realese the info to us as she was registered in the previous owners name.

So we had to start he over again as she needed to go in kennels that year.

I dont believe they ned vaccines every year but whilst kennels insist on them i have no choice. I would be suprised if you have to start from scratch again.

7. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i took 3 of mine on tuesday for their jabs and they were 7 months overdue:tongue_smilie: dont worry about it :)...just dont let the vet talk you into having the full course again.

8. borderer

borderer Guest

my dogs have never had boosters

9. Milliepoochie

Do you kennel your dogs at all? Have you had issues in finding kennels who would take them?

Thank You :)

10. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

would the vet give the booster if you insist or would they refuse if the dog was overdue

11. Milliepoochie

Ours refused :( Had to pump more drugs into her. Millie was really pukey afterwards to :(

12. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

I was wondering if us as owners could have a say as after all they are our dogs

13. borderer

borderer Guest

never kennal my dogs if i go away friend looks after them

14. Milliepoochie

Aha ok Thank You:) sady we dont have people to look after our two so Kennels it is for them. Woud be quite scared of a kennel which didnt insist on vaccines :)

15. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Sorry, but that is a load of ********!!!!!

Why did you just blindy believe the Vet - at least you could have done a titre test before shoving more chemicals inside your dog. I hate it when vets tell folk things like this and poor owners just believe them!!!:mad::mad:

16. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Neither have mine, and Magnum now two years old, remains completely unvaccinated and will remain so.

I lost two dogs to vaccination reactions and I myself was permanently damaged by a childhood vaccination so I have pretty strong views on this subject.

17. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i suppose it depends on the vet DK, im lucky mine is brilliant:)

agreed!

some vets are really bad!

18. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

That was my thoughts exactly but most people take their vet's word as gospel. After all they are the experts.
    Years ago and without having PF I would prob have done the same, fearing the disease and no idea over vaccinating could cause probs.

After years of being meek and mild accepting what's been said and going with it - I now adopt the attitude - My Dog, My Decision:D

19. poppysmum

Thankyou all.

I remember my vets nurse telling me they only have a 3 month time scale for giving boosters. When I take Popps to them I will ask them to just give her a booster and not a whole new course. :)

20. alyssa_liss

alyssa_liss PetForums VIP

i am sorry but i am offended by this. i 'blindly' believed the vet because he is just that, a vet. i am a first time dog owner that is trying to do the right thing for my dog. he is insured and the insurance say they will only cover him
    for illnesses aslong as he is vaccinated. he wasnt just overdue it was dec/jan that he was due.

I understand if people have had personal experiances why they would be against it. As i said i thought i was doing the right thing, and listened to my vet

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice