Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

last try before I give up

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by Daruma, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Daruma

Daruma PetForums Junior

Got the tank water sorted- I thought-.

But I have two ranchu sitting on or near the bottom mostly and occasionally making mad dashes flicking/rubbing gravel and tank sides.
    They have no other obvious signs of disease or parasites.
    WATER.
    Ammonia will not go below 0.25ppm but I assumed that it was NON toxic ammonia as I had added an ammo Lock product 2 weeks ago. ( This has stayed at .0.25 both before and after 60% water change)
    I have bought an ammonia alert but its not reading yet.
    Nitrite =0
    Nitrate= 5ppm
    PH= 7.4
    5 days API Pimafix anti fungal /mild anti bacterial.
    60% water change still no change in behaviour.

All I can think of now is Gill Flukes but need the opinions of yourselves before I do a treatment for this.

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Ammo Lock needs to be added every 48 hours to be effective. It sounds like your kit may always read 0.25, though, since your tap water was also reading 0.25 (have I remembered correctly?)
    Flukes sounds like a possibility, but I have no experience with this. Hoping someone else can advise?

Daruma likes this.
  3. Daruma

Daruma PetForums Junior

IMG_20190630_143209874.jpg Thanks Naomi, The tap water sometimes reads 0 ammonia. But the tank reads 0.25 before and also after 60% water change.?
    I have asked on other forums and no one came up with an answer. One U.S. guy had never heard of AmmoLock.
    Gill flukes are the only thing I can think of. I have some eSHa gdex Skin And Gill Flukes that I will try.
    Later that day_
    Re-tested tap water and Tank water. To me they both read over 0 nearer 0.25. ammonia see photo.
    I will email Water Company again. But all my other fish appear to be thriving on this water ( 3 nano tanks)
    regards

#3 Daruma, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  4. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

How odd. I'd be inclined to think ammonia's not the issue in this case, though it can't hurt to keep dosing AmmoLock every couple of days as a precaution (though when your current bottle runs out I'd suggest switching to Prime, as it's far more economical).

I'd run some carbon in the filter for a couple of days to remove the Pimafix from the water before starting the new meds, as I'm not sure how they'll interact together.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice