Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Last minute boarding Cambridgeshire/Suffolk/Essex/Hertfordshire

Discussion in 'Dog Boarding' started by neuvilla, Jul 20, 2017.

1. neuvilla

neuvilla PetForums Junior

Hi, we're trying to find somewhere to board our 6 month golden retriever puppy from the 4th to the 9th August.

We thought we had somewhere, but we just did a familiarisation visit and we mutually agreed it wouldn't be right for our puppy. She is crate trained, but she still whines a bit when she first goes in especially in the evening when she's most active. Most of the time she goes in without a noise, and she sleeps without any noise at all the whole night. The owner asked her to put her in a crate as a test, but expected her to not make any noise at all. She understandably didn't settle straightaway, so she told us she was going to spray her with water to make her quiet, to which we refused. We generally felt quite uncomfortable with her attitude.

Anyway, we're now trying to find somewhere else that could take her and would look after her well. Does anyone have any recommendations?

We're based in Cambridge but happy to drive a bit.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

To be absolutely honest anywhere that would take my dog in August, at such short notice, I wouldn't even consider leaving them there for a second.

Cancel your trip and look forward to spending quality time with you pup instead.

3. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

God that sounds awful!!

You might struggle to find anyone decent at such short notice to be honest. Most places will be booked up now.

I would try any local Facebook pages for personal recommendations......

4. Suzanne2

Suzanne2 PetForums Newbie

Hi, was that a boarding kennels? That's completely unacceptable & has no basis in any training technique. I hope you find somewhere suitable, good luck

5. neuvilla

My wife and I both went away quite upset about it. What was worse, was the way she just told us she was going to spray her, without even asking. I had to tell her that we wouldn't let her do that. But even before that her attitude did not seem to be particularly caring. She also demanded a lot from our pup, even though her own dog was jumping up at us and barking.

Unfortunately, it is going to be extremely difficult for us to cancel our plans. If we have to, we'll ask my parents who are both retired, but they live quite far away so its not ideal.

We're going to contact our trainer, and also a fantastic dog day care that she will soon be starting at, to see if they know anybody who might be able to help. I'll also see if there are any local facebook groups.

6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

If only you were nearer to me, I'd just love a few days with Golden again

7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

8. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Have pm'd you :)

9. neuvilla

How far away are you? (I ask only partly in jest!)

10. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I'm in West Sussex but the whole logistics are wrong unfortunately :(

11. neuvilla

12. neuvilla

Maybe another time!

13. elmthesofties

elmthesofties PetForums Senior

Maybe try TrustedHousesitters? I've used it in the past and thought it was excellent. The last people came to visit the home several times where we had a long chat about why they were there, the needs of the animals, etc, and they had excellent reviews from previous stays. Could not have been happier with them. There's nothing to lose from checking it out.

14. neuvilla

Thank you so much everyone for your help. It is so much appreciated. We have found someone through this thread who is able to look after our pup. A big relief. Thanks again for all your help.

Rudydog, kittih and rona like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice