Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Last Chance.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by dodie, Aug 25, 2013.

1. dodie

dodie PetForums Newbie

Hi all, hope everyone is having a good day and i'm also hoping someone can help me.:(
    I think I will have to give up my dog Ollie, he is 4 years old and he's a cross between a chiuhahua/Papillion, he has nipped 3 people in the last couple of months. Once when my daughters mother in law came into her house and he did break the skin on her leg. The second one was a boy passing and hubbie had him on the long lead {stupid} and he nipped him, the 3rd was today when he got out of the gate, granddaughter left it open and there was a man asking directions and he went for his ankle, just as well he was wearing jeans.

I dread to think if that was a child that came around the corner.
    He is very territorial. Advice on this would be most welcome.
    Thanks ,

Jeannie

2. JessIncaFCR

JessIncaFCR PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum :)

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble...

To try and find the cause, is there anything that links the three nips? Did each of the people do something the same to cause it?

Has something happened to trigger these if it has only been the past couple of months? Has he always been like this?

Have you consulted a professional to help you deal with his nipping? I would consult a professional who uses positive methods (isn't old school or doesn't use force) and have them help you.

Is he showing any signs of illness? Could he be in pain?

I am sure someone else will chip in with something a bit more helpful :)

#2 JessIncaFCR, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I would get him used to a muzzle ASAP and have a vet check and then referral to a reputable behaviourist if he gets a clean bill of health.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice