Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Laser Beams are "No No's" for Cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by bugmenot, Jul 6, 2009.

1. bugmenot

bugmenot PetForums Newbie

http://meview.metro.co.uk/Video.aspx?id=47059

I just strolled upon this video and this beautiful kitty wallops his chiwawa companion from being confused by the owner's laser beam, who by rights should get a spanking for that.

Poor dog :(

2. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

Silly Owner! :(

3. leeph

leeph PetForums Newbie

It surprised me when I found a laser 'cat toy' in Pets at Home.

Presumably, lasers are very harmful to a cat's eyes (due to them being far more sensitive to light than a human's)?

Stupid idea, and incredibly lazy. Get a piece of string!!!

4. Shmitty!

Shmitty! PetForums Senior

Not very nice of the owner is it!

5. kath123

kath123 Guest

Well you may not like me much for this, but i was given one by my sister in law and have played with it with Sasha and she loves it, obviously wouldnt shine it in her eyes though!!!

But i didnt realise they were harmful to them, would of thought they wouldnt sell them then!!! :mad:

6. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

Surely if used sensibly then they are ok but aiming it in eyes and at dogs heads is not sensible use.

7. badbudgie

badbudgie PetForums Member

I got one from Ebay but I couldn't work out if I thought they were dangerous until I saw them in Pets at Home.

They are a great idea for exercise but you have to be so careful not to point it in their eyes.

If only I could learn them "fetch" to get them moving...

8. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

First of all :eek: that clip was a bit nasty. Poor dog. And cat. Doing things like that like that could ruin a cat/dog relationship. :cursing:

They are, however, a great way to play with cats that don't like conventional toys. One of my cats refuse to play with interactive toys like string, or danglers from the pet shop. A laser however...........she loves it and it gives us time alone doing something fun and she gets plenty excercise and mental stimulation.
    It s common sense not to shine it in the cats eyes and it probably says on the packet somewhere.

They are not dangerous. That clip shows the owners are dangerous not the laser or the game. It is a great game for stimulating/excercising the cat, as well as owner-cat bonding time, providing people don't abuse it and make sure it is done safley with the cat(s) in a safe enough room so no harm can be done to the cat.

Dozymoo likes this.
  9. kath123

kath123 Guest

Here!!! Here!!! :)

10. Cyberfyn

Cyberfyn PetForums VIP

The cat toy lasers are less than 2mw output power, so unless you hold the cat down and hold the beam in his eyes for a prolonged period they won't do any harm. It's not until you get to the 5-10mw which are considered dangerous.

Ian.

11. bugmenot

Wow. I thought all lasers were bad .Period. Even for our own eyes.

12. Ammy

Ammy PetForums Member

I always thought they looked a bit dodgey- laser beams are really dangerous to eyes!!:eek:ut:

13. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I have one that I shine on the wall or floor and Damien tries to catch it he loves it. However I never shine it near his eyes and I never would.

14. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Lasers come in different strengths - you would have to stare hard at a cat laser for about an hour to even get a slight irritation - don't throw those laser toys away - they all conform to European saftey standards and are fine. Yes, SOME lasers are dangerous but you should't find them in a household setting more hospitals etc. Just make sure they are the right class (class 1)

#14 spid, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  15. Izzie999

Izzie999 PetForums VIP

Hi,

I have a laser mouse which is a tiny little spotlight on the floor, the cats go nuts for it and even carry on looking for it when its been put away, I always exercise caution though, never shine it on anything that can reflect back on the cats eyes and usually only play for a short period of time, about 10 mins is usually enough and then they are knackered!

Izzie

16. bugmenot

Most times, a torch on the wall can keep them entertained for years on end :smilewinkgrin:

17. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Fair comment. But most torches would be more dangerous for cats eyes than specific cat lasers. I only use my laser on the walls, floors and on the cat climber. Always very carefully for my girls safety. Besides my little lady isn't too interested in anything bigger than gnats, mozzie's, flies, small flying insects oh and the laser lol! :D even moths that are bigger than my daughters finger nail She's not bothered by!! Yet my other 2 female (my boy just isn't interested in doing much other than food, sun, and laying on me and my bed!) kitties are 'real' hunters! Pretty much anything that moves if their in that mood!

18. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

we have also used one with sheldon and he went crazy for it. he used to stand next to the wall where we wud shine it lol.

in sensible hands like anythin they are great. and the ones at pets at home are not very strong so will do little damage if accidentally shined in your cats eyes. unlike the laser pens you get from abraod

19. catbasket

catbasket PetForums Member

Just checked mine as it's not a 'proper' cat toy. Less than 1mW, which is a relief.

20. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

i use a laser toy and the cats go mad for it...they absolutely love it :D

Have to add that i tried to be nasty pointing it at OH feet occasionally ... :001_tt2:

But to do that to the poor dog, it can ruin their relationship :( its so nice to see dogs and cats go on good together, no need to disturb that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice