Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Large Breed Food Vs Normal

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Olly's Mum, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Olly's Mum

Olly's Mum PetForums Member

What if any are the differences between large breed and normal size dry puppy food?

I was told bt a friend the large breed food is designed to slow growth in large breed dogs, not sure if this is true but i stuck to it just incase.

However now i have Teddy a springer im wondering whether it would do him any harm to have the large breed kibble with Olly rather than me buying to different sizes as i am now.

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Puppy foods usually have a higher protein level, but there generally isn't a huge difference, although some are several per cent higher, a lot are less than 2% different, that I've looked at. The same goes for the different between foods for different sized breeds, and confusingly, although the protein levels are higher to help growth, some foods also contain ingredients to slow growth down. Call me cynical, but I don't think either puppy foods, or different breed foods are necessary, we like to think we're doing the best by buying *appropriate* food for our puppy/dog, imo feeding a good diet of any kind means they will have the nutrition they need to derive the vitamins and minerals for normal growth. I don't think it necessarily does any harm to give a dog foods with different levels of different minerals and vitamins etc, but I just don't think it's necessary, if you feed a good quality diet.

3. Olly's Mum

They can both have the same then! :) There doesnt seem to be any difference on the packet (Hills Science Plan) just the size of the kibble but like you said i like to make sure im doing everything correctly for them.

4. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

One thing I would say, is that the advice from people with years of experience is not to keep them on the different food past six months of age, but to wean them over to standard adult kibble. Some food manufacturers recommend that you keep them on puppy food etc, for up till 18 months of age, which just isn't necessary.

If you've read the packets, and you think the ingredients are pretty much the same, then it shouldn't make much difference what you give to them, as long as the ingredients are good quality, that's the key ;)

A lot of the difference with puppy food, and food for smaller dogs, is that it is milled into smaller shaped kibble pieces. A friend is feeding her Lab pup Skinners Puppy food, and showed me the kibble size yesterday, it looked like cat food it was so small! She's only going to feed the one bag of puppy food, and then wean her pup onto adult food.

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Having been down the puppy route and fed puppy food, I'm not sure that I would do it again. As mentioned, we all try to do the best for our animals but part of me thinks sometimes we are lining the pockets of the manufacturers. Why should puppy, senior etc cost anymore than adult????
    First it was puppy, then senior and now large breed appears to have jumped on the band wagon :lol:

Years ago, there was only "dog food", puppies had a bit more because they were growing and seniors a bit less because they werent so active??? Whilst I think there is perhaps a place for the different types, I think the ingredients are more important than the title they are put under and very often, the difference is negligable.

How it works well feeding them both the same, will certainly make life easier :thumbup:

6. Olly's Mum

Thats exactly what i have been told, - Keep him on it until he's 18months old. He's 12months now and teddy is 3 1/2 months old.

I know hills isnt one of the best foods and very expensive but olly has a very dodgy tum and hills is the only one he like thats doesnt affect it. :rolleyes:

Id love to get him on a different food, but notsure its worth it if he's doing ok in hills.

7. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I totally agree here,however,i do feel for dog owners who are unaware,as iv noticed my vet is very pushy on this subject,and insists that they must remain on puppy food for 18mths!! new dog owners will not know and will feel presured to follow this advise.

8. Olly's Mum

I hadnt had a puppy for years before i got olly so had no idea there were so many new ranges and sizes to choose from! Took us a while to decide which one to get!

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Is he still on a puppy version?

I know someone who uses Hills Science, and although it doesn't always get the best reviews, it seems to be fine for their dogs. They only use the puppy version for weaning pups onto to go to new owners, and the pups always look happy and healthy, but boy does their poo smell, and they do tonnes of it compared to raw feeding.

10. Olly's Mum

Yep he's still on it!, as i thought thats was what was best for him! :frown: Ive stocked up too!

He's doing great on it, Shiney coat lovely white teeth and he poos 2/3 times a day which i think is normal. After joining here i have been experimenting with raw food. Sardines and mince are a favourite at the minute.

I know it sounds stupid but before i came here i would never have thought to try it- i thought they would get ill from raw food because we can get ill from undercooked meat. :eek:

11. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Personally, I'd be weaning him off the puppy stuff, and over to adult, as I said above (I think you might have missed it) all the experienced people I've spoken to, who've been around dogs for many years, say to swap them over at six months of age. Although at the same time, I wouldn't let it worry you if you decide to stick to the 18 month change over, I don't think there's a 100% right way to feed your dog, we only do the best we can and follow the best advice we're given. As long as we feed a good quality food, and they're happy and healthy, that's what matters. If you do decide to give raw feeding a go, give me a shout, I'd be happy to help.

12. Olly's Mum

Thanks for the advice!! Ill start to slowly wean him off when we've finished what we've got. I think i want to suppliment their diets with raw food rather than feed just raw. I have tried mince, pet mince and sardines all of which went down brilliantly. Any other ideas would be great. Ive read people give chicken wings but how does that work? Dont they choke on the bones. I was always told not to give dogs bones as they splinter and cause injuries. (Im learning though alot of what i was told isnt true!):D

13. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

both my pups are on arden grange large breed puppy. one is a 12month old flatty and the other is a 5month old beagle. im just keeping them both on it until kody is around 6/7months and then im moving them both onto adult.
    i use the large breed mainly because it slows down kodys eating. he just gulps smaller pieces.

14. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

The kibble is different! I feed Luna and Sky large breed food as Luna had a terrible habit of gulping down the smaller pieces. With the larger kibble she has to actually chew each piece :thumbup:

15. nfp20

nfp20 PetForums Senior

bashed chicken wings are a favorite too ;) Hills is expensive what foods have you tried so far???

James Well Beloved tends to give some the runs, supermarkets brands like pedigree and bakers are crap so wouldn't touch them, Chappie is the one most feed if they need a bland diet. Lot of Weimaraner owners use Naturediet, Arden Grange, Challenge has been popular recently especially the Salmon and Potato, I've used Orijen which although a bit high in protein is a good food, Burns although you do need to feed something else as it tends to leave a poor coat in some.

Mine like tripe but it does give some a real upset tummy. I have found that some vets will recommend Hills after one bout of a dicky tummy (usually after a wormer) bit naughty really but revenue is revenue.

16. Amelia_87

Amelia_87 PetForums Junior

Hi there!!

I just wanted to say that my vet has done exactly the same, told me to keep Casper (lab) on it til 18 months, hes now just over 13 months - is there not benefit to keep him on the puppy large breed science plan then? I was thiking of weaning him onto adult food - maybe James Wellbeloved?

Amelia xxx

17. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi Amelia.i think its personal choice,some follow their vets advise to the T,others dont.Iv had pups on adult food as young as four months(due to not getting on with the high protein ) and there is no difference in health or growth.None of my labs have done well on the expensive better quality foods,its very odd!! They are now on a good medium range food and thrive on it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice