Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Large breed dog foods!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Keisha, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Keisha

Keisha PetForums Newbie

My 5 month old Rottweiler is fed on Arden Grange large breed puppy food, i won't be changing that now, but when she goes onto adult food is there really any reason that it should be the large breed?
    Thanks
    Tasha

2. Gil3987

Gil3987 PetForums Senior

this is something i have always wondered for my Akita, he is 9 months now. we have him on wainwrights puppy, but not the large breed as the large breed is only 28% protein and the puppy is 30%.
    Gill
    x

3. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

i think the main difference in the large breed food is the size of the kibble rather than the indegriends as they are much the same .... but might be wrong though lol

4. Keisha

Keisha PetForums Newbie

This is the large breed chicken and rice:
    Ingredients
    Chicken Meal* (min 27%), Whole Grain Rice (min 26%), Whole Grain Maize, Chicken Fat*, Beet Pulp, Fresh Chicken (min 5%), Dried Brewers Yeast, Egg Powder, Fish Meal*, Linseed, Fish Oil*, Minerals, Vitamins, Nucleotides, Prebiotic FOS, Prebiotic MOS, Cranberry Extract, Chondroitin Sulphate, Glucosamine Sulphate, MSM, Yucca Extract, L-Carnitine. * Preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract.

Typical Analysis
    Protein 24%, Oil 14%, Fibre 2.5%, Ash 7%, Moisture 8%, Omega6 2.51%, Omega3 0.36%, Vitamin A 15000 IU/kg, Vitamin D3 1000 IU/kg, Vitamin E 100 IU/kg, Calcium 1.25%, Phosphorous P 0.85%, Copper 20 mg/kg (as Cupric Sulphate).

and this the normal adult chicken and rice:
    Ingredients
    Chicken Meal* (min 27%), Whole Grain Rice (min 26%), Whole Grain Maize, Chicken Fat*, Beet Pulp, Fresh Chicken (min 5%), Dried Brewers Yeast, Egg Powder, Fish Meal*, Linseed, Fish Oil*, Minerals, Vitamins, Nucleotides, Prebiotic FOS, Prebiotic MOS, Cranberry Extract, Chondroitin Sulphate, Glucosamine Sulphate, MSM, Yucca Extract. * Preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract.

Typical Analysis
    Protein 25%, Oil 15%, Fibre 2.5%, Ash 7%, Moisture 8%, Omega6 2.53%, Omega3 0.37%, Vitamin A 15000 IU/kg, Vitamin D3 1000 IU/kg, Vitamin E 100 IU/kg, Calcium 1.1%, Phosphorous P 0.75%, Copper 20 mg/kg (as Cupric Sulphate).

I have also noticed that you do not get a choice in flavour with the large breed food.

5. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

Most large breed dog foods have glucosamine and chondroitin for the joints. We give our labs wainwrights large breed, the pieces are slightly larger too:)

6. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

Orijen is an option though it is expensive.... its 42% protein with not one grain filler. Its high in calories so really you dont have to feed them as much as other foods so it last a little longer and balances out. It could be a goer even so 28% protein still isnt bad at all :)

7. nellie_dean

nellie_dean PetForums Member

If you're feeding a medium % protein food, which is good for a Rotty as you don't want to give them too much fuel, then you might consider one of the several VAT free working dog foods around - for example Whites Premium do a very good natural one:
    Ingredients
    Chicken, Herbs (4%), Rice, Garlic (4%), Carrots, Green Beans, Whole Linseed, Maize, Beet, Fish Oil, Yucca, Mineral and Vitamins, Vitamin A, C & E, Prebiotic FOS, Omega 3
    Analysis
    Protein 22.00%, Oil 12.00%, Fibre 3.00%
    This is currently on offer at £19.99/15kg at www.pet-pantry.co.uk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice