Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Laparoscopic spaying- pros and cons please

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Citrineblue, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Citrineblue

Citrineblue PetForums VIP

image.jpg

Here is lovely Luna being held by my son. I am looking at Spaying options. My local vets does flank and midline however I am interested in the laparoscopic spay. It seems recovery is quick and easy, less stitches, minimal shaving. There is a surgery fairly close by that does this procedure.

I just wanted to know others opinions? Has anyone's cats had this procedure? When is the best time to have it done this way? Pros and cons please from cat owners and not vets wanted really. She is now nearly 14 weeks and has to compete with four boy cats and all the rough and tumble so just really wanted a quick recovery and less exposed stitches. Also less shaving!! My vet said a two and a half inch shave on her flank!!! That's half her body!!!!!!

2. sarelis

sarelis PetForums Senior

When I booked Lulu' (JRT) spay, I asked if they would do a flank or midline. They said that they prefer to do midline, as you can get a better view of everything. Going by that, I would wonder if a laparoscopic spay might be slightly more risky?

3. Severus

Severus PetForums Newbie

For a cat spay I think it's a waste of money going laparoscopic. A typical cat spay wound is no longer than an inch, but with laparoscopic surgery you need at least two incisions of the same size - so there is no benefit to the cat.

Bitch spays are different as the incision for these is usually much longer.

4. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I get my kittens done at 10-12 weeks, midline as that's the most common in my state, only 1 or 2 stitches, can't really get any less than that

Given the choice I'd do flank. The amount of shaving makes no difference, it's just fur and grows back.

I pick my kittens up an hour later full of beans, almost instant recovery

5. sarelis

sarelis PetForums Senior

I was talking to my OH about how cats don't seem to feel poorly after a spay last night, as Lulu was really mopey and sore. When I had Mini cat done you would have never known! Why do dogs and cats take it so differently?

6. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

No experience with laparoscopic spey. When my girl was done the vet offered flank or abdominal but strongly recommended flank because of the smaller incision. It really was a small cut, no visible stiches to remove and she was up and running about as soon as we got her home.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice