Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lap dog suggestions please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MaryA, Apr 5, 2011.

1. MaryA

MaryA PetForums Member

Hi,

I am seeking advice on the best breeds for a companion lapdog. It is essential it has a quiet nature and doesn't bark very much, as it will be with me under my desk when I am working away and surrounded by the public. Shih Tzu have been recommended but I am concerned they have a reputation of being difficult to house train. It will also need to get on with my two young cats. If you can offer advice and/or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you. :)

2. rona

rona Guest

A pug or Italian greyhound spring to mind, also maybe a Cavalier.
    What type of dogs do you like?

3. MaryA

MaryA PetForums Member

I love collie type sheep dogs (like Shep from BBC Blue Peter if you remember him) but my lifestyle and age does not really fit these anymore. Saddly I'm beyond the 10 mile walk across the moors and really seek something less wonderfully manic.

4. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

A Bichon Frise.:D

5. rona

rona Guest

Have you looked at Shelties?

6. rona

rona Guest

7. ian1969uk

ian1969uk PetForums Member

We have a 40 kilo Foxhound pup that loves to sit on our knee :D

She sees our other (smaller) dog do it and sees no reason why she shouldn't as well!

8. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

Surprisingly Bedlington's make excellent lapdogs. My dogs are never off my knees. They love nothing more than to be cuddled up, especially Bailey. He's a mummy's boy.. Loves his cuddles. Bedlingtons are adorable :p

9. ian1969uk

ian1969uk PetForums Member

Yes, this is true.

Our Lurcher is a Bedlington/Whippet and she loves to sit on our knee for cuddles.

10. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

My Rottie X cross makes a perfect lap dog. She is very quiet and well behaved. Would stop anyone stealing your work/ stationary from your desk hehe :)

11. keirk

keirk PetForums Member

You need my Jack - quiet natured, only does single alert barks, goes to work in an office every day, was easy to house train, and his sister and brother are both cats.

Tho at 30kg you're only gonna manage short lap sitting sessions ;)

12. kimdelyse

kimdelyse PetForums Senior

ooh Jazzy you musthave been dealt a better hand than me! Flo's a handfull!

That said he is as ever proving me wrong by sleeping on my foot as I type... But he's barking at everything lately. He comes to work with me and barks at select customers. That said he's in full teenage mode at the moment, so I'm not too worried... :rolleyes:

Flo is my 8 month old Bichone Frise BTW!

13. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Id reccommend a long haired Chihuahua. They are very easy to carry, dont mind short walks, very cuddly, and usually get on with cats if raised with them (even though mine is a bully!:rolleyes:). Also I can fit mine on my desk in front of my keyboard and still type quite easily!LOL:D
    Although Its worth pointing out that as a group lap dogs/companion breeds are known to be a bit yappy and difficult to house train in general.;)

14. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I vote Pug. Big dog in a little body and just love being with you more than anything :)

15. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

I would suggest a Chinese Crested Powerpuff! There are quite a number of Puffs in rescue at the moment, of which I dont understand - Their a loving, loyal, happy go lucky breed - thats always eager to please. Easy to train, very social - small dogs with fab characters!

16. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

That really suprises me that they end up in rescue :( They are not a particularly "faddy" breed and i wouldn't have thought people buy them on a whim because they aren't that easy to come by :(

17. :laugh:

They would rather be running round the garden than sat with their owner.

They are suggested lap dog because of their size.

Then I would not go for a sheltie.

Pugs are fantastic lap dogs. I looked into them years ago.

Pap's are good little lap dogs...or at least the ones I have met are.
    Though paps can be vocal.

Cavaliers?

Is there a size limit to your lap dog needs?

18. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

we have a number of fosters in at the mo :( Sad thing is, they are very easy to come by now..So many people breeding them for their looks, and cross breeding for the hairless gene! when we got into the breed it was hard to come by them now there are 2/3 pages of pups on selling sites, I know thats not alot compared to other breeds but is a huge amount compared to around 2006. It is however hard to come by a decent bred one, although still not to hard (even more so puffs - as hairless are more sought after!).

#18 Devil-Dogz, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  19. MaryA

MaryA PetForums Member

Thanks for the replies so far. No, there is no size limit really, just the need to be quietly invisible under the desk and able to be carried. Some places I go, will allow dogs in enclosed dogbeds but they must not touch the floor with their paws, so need to be carried in and out. Three of my colleagues have ShihTzu's and take them with them, hence my original interest in them. To be honest, it was months before I even realised they were there, they were totally quiet.

On another note, as mentioned in other posts on this thread, I note there are specific breed rescue organisations with puppies available. I am wondering if going down that root is a good idea, as there maybe no knowledge of previous lineage and potential health problems later. What do folks think?

20. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Aww, that is sad. I did apply for a crestie once from a rescue..sadly Im not rescue material..:eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice