Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lame GSD

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by SamP, May 25, 2010.

1. SamP

SamP PetForums Junior

Just wondering does any1 have any insight into my problem. My GSD of 6 months has been lame on his right front leg, i have taken him to the vet, he said he MAY have pulled his shoulder, that was 6 weeks ago, he told me to rest him up for a month no long walks and keep him from running as best i can.
    I have done all this but he still gets lame after about 10 mins when he is outside, he doesnt seem to have any soreness when i examine him, so i rang the vet again , only to be told that he needs more rest & to give him time.
    I am just worried because he seems better then goes lame again, as i said i havnt been taking him on his usual walks as i dont want to cause any further damage. He is eating fine & is as happy as always. I took him to the river on our land as i thought a swim might be good for him. Is this the right thing to do or should i just do nothing. I feel my vet thinks i am over reacting but he's like family & i just want to make sure i'm doing enough for him. Any advice kindly appreciated. Thanks :)

2. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

Could try taking him to a different vets, just so you get the verdict from two different people.

3. leashedForLife

yes, a 2nd opinion could be very helpful! :thumbup:

and swimming is an excellent idea - it is low-impact but aerobic, + keeps the dog from over-heating, too.

since U already have a DX, i would say this is safe.
    go for it! :thumbsup: i would have him on a WIDE martingale, at least 1.75-inches but preferably 2-in,
    or even better, a well-fitting nylon H-harness with a FRONT ring, and clip the long line to the chest-ring.
    U can use it to gently bring him about, like a boat - just keep the line UP, so he cannot get his feet over it.

i buy inexpensive floating polypropylene rope, 1/4 to 1/2 inch diameter; it can be had at a boat-supply, cut to length,
    for 10-cents a foot. then i attach a bronze or S/S clip to it, to prevent rust.

the floating line is easy to keep UP + away from the dogs swimming forefeet. ;)

hope he feels much better ASAP,
    --- terry

4. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Has he been xrayed? This could show a number of problems, although expensive it rules out most of the serious problems like fractures, OCD and also a common complaint in growing GSDs- Panosteitis aka bad growing pains

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice