Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lamb killer- I'm not convinced!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by kat&molly, Apr 8, 2011.

1. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I'm looking after a Sprollie boy, aged 7 for the next 3 weeks. He has been acused of killing Lambs on a nearby farm. The Gendarmes and local Chasse were on the look out to shoot him.
    Hes staying with me until he returns permantly to the UK , where he wont be living rurally anyway. I'm surrounded by sheep and Lambs so obviously I'm not risking letting him off the lead.Hes been raised with chickens and ducks, he's great with mine, good with my cats although he's never lived with them-in fact seems a bit nervy of them, he doesn't seem to have any Springer or Collie traits and is very calm!! Even the Springer wiggle is a bit pathetic:p
    I've walked him past fields of sheep and lambs and he doesn't bat an eyelid, surely I would see something, and think this dog may have been done an injustice if others are to be believed?

2. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. I think you have to presume the accusations are true, and act accordingly; that the dog unsupervised off leash chases small animals. If he's not loose he doesn't get shot, if he is even if "innocently" roaming he's likely to be.

I've walked BC's on lead through sheep and not had any reaction from either, but I could believe a chase situation that developed might make recall impossible. The current BC has been recalled off sheep, but that situation is not one that's intended to be repeated.

3. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

You have my sympathies,our Alf I think given half the chance would be straight in the field with the sheep,he goes up on his back legs like a meercat when we walk past he fields and he shows alot of interest.We keep hold of him until we are out of the way and then let him off,we have a fantastic relationship with our french farmer neighbours and want to keep it that way.I think your friends have done the right thing keeping him out of the way until they return and all you can do is take it as gospel that this has happened and keep him safe until he goes to the UK.Just as aside though I do know of at least 3 other english couples that this has happened to,ie their dog has been accused of killing sheep and they completely deny it,so maybe there is a bit of conflict going on somewhere regarding the english and their dogs,or maybe its the boar been in and killed them and they are blaming it on the dog.

4. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Thats a good point about the Boar, and my own farmer neighbours tell me they lose a lot of Lambs to foxes, so perhaps there is conflict going on and I would think he's fedup of seeing this dog running loose. The owners are to blame for not fencing the land-or even part of it. He'll stay on lead whilst he's here anyway.
    I might send Molly to them instead as this boy walks lovely on lead-and hes never really been on one:p

5. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

The one and only go my little Fidget had on sheep had just the opposite effect - she left the sheep and picked up a stick to play with...!!

6. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

*Exact same thing happened to me! A local farmer, who I helped at times, let me let him off while a flock were grazing. He ran towards the flock, bunching them together, then spotted a stick on the ground, which he picked up and presented to us to throw for him! Farmer said I had ruined a potentially good herding dog :lol:

*This is not something I'd ever do again, nor something I'd recommend. I didn't know any better at the time :nono:

7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Im not 100% positive but I think a dog just worrying and chasing sheep can be enough for it to be shot. With a mix of springer and collie, even if he didnt kill, I think he would probably not be able to help his instincts, if they took over and he got the inclination.

Once running free and having free reign to exercise their instincts, it can be a whole different ball game to being kept on lead under control.
    I would err on the side of caution, instincts can and will out.

8. RobD-BCactive

Awwww, don't feel guilty! I doubt a WSD trainer would have any bother igniting the instinct. Just think of how many ppl play fetch, and yet still have their dogs chase off after him.

In fact if you see Andy Nicless's DVD "Border Collies Off Duty!" you'll see young dogs in training playing fetch and other games. One of them "Jim" is so attached to "his" football he apparently even turned out to work with it in his mouth! :D

9. RobD-BCactive

From the farmer's point of you, having his animals harryed and stressed by a loose dog is likely to cause anger, it may cause premature deathes to so they're likely to naturally scapegoat the dog after.

I saw today a hunting dog (about Weimaraner sized but a UK breed I think) too far away from owner, who investigated some wild deer (4 or 5) at edge of wood, who most then went inside with dog following. It resulted in the dog getting chased by the deer, and the owner then calling an excited dog off; which is the only part he could see.

"No harm done" apparently, but it definitely makes the deer skittish, and then more liable to go for a dog in future, I would presume. They knew it was on the prowl, they react differently to dogs under control that ignore them.

#9 RobD-BCactive, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  10. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

My dog obviously hasn't worked that bit out yet, she will counter surf at any time, mostly when I am preparing food and she pops up between me and the counter! :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice