Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lake District Gains World Heritage status.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by samuelsmiles, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I agree with Monbiot. I've been to the Lake District and, although it's dramatic and beautiful, it didn't feel real. It felt like a theme park. Nothing but sheep and daffodils. The Highlands of Scotland are barren and Cornwall is dramatic but they both feel like proper working landscapes.

noushka05 likes this.
  2. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Totally agree with George too. So much of the Lake district has been sheepwrecked, many of the slopes are barren wastelands, its an ecological catastrophe . This over grazing also exacerbates flooding downstream. If they rewilded the uplands the Lake district would be deserving of the title.

Our uplands in general are a mess thanks to over grazing by sheep & intensive management by grouse shoots.

#3 noushka05, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    LinznMilly likes this.
  3. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Well I don't know where on you went but there are plenty of wild barren areas in the lakes that are unspoilt and don't have grazing sheep or daffodils.

4. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

On the tops of the hills? Cos every flat bit had either a building or a flock of sheep on it

5. noushka05

That's the problem, these barren areas are far from wild, they are pretty much devoid of wildlife because there is no scrub & few trees. The hills shouldn't look like a barren moonscape, they should be forested & teeming with life. If we allowed the hills to regenerate we would see far greater biodiversity return. That's not likely to ever happen now its been granted this status.

6. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Me and my mom spent a week there a couple of years ago and we both commented on the lack of birds. That's always a bad sign

noushka05 likes this.
  7. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

I used to be a part of a team of people producing scenery for Flight Simulator. This included the production of trees and building which were placed on top of vfr photorealistic scenery across the UK. I got to know the lake district extremely well during that time both by visiting and exploring in person and via the photographic overlays. In fact I knew it so well you could drop me blind folded anywhere in the park and I would know where I was as soon as I took the blindfold off. There are huge swathes of unspoilt areas in the park, you just have to know where to go.

planete and MiffyMoo like this.
  8. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Again I don't know where you went but the lake district is one of the most wildlife rich areas anywhere on the British isles. There are 8 nature reserves, over 100 areas of special scientific interest and 3 wetland sites of international importance. Less than 1/3rd of the park is cultivated land, less than 2% is developed and over 1000 square kilometres are made up of grassland, moorland and heathland. Forrest and woodland accounts for 12% of the landscape. In 1900, just 5% of the Scottish highlands, an area regularly compared to the LD national park consisted of woodland and forest, it is only recently that this has increased.

George Monbiot paints a very bleak picture of the Lake District but the people that live and work in the park don't agree with his assessment.

planete and MiffyMoo like this.
  9. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Though you'll keep bumping into hikers :(

10. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

Its been years since i was there (its the next county to me but its pretty here and no tourists ;o) but it does make me wonder if the same could be said for Northumberland

11. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

The odd one but few and far between where I go Rona.

12. samuelsmiles

samuelsmiles PetForums Senior

I'm sure George Monbiot is correct to highlight a certain lack of diversity in the Lakes but, by using terms like 'sheepwrecking,' 'devastated landscapes,' 'sheep worship religion' and 'environmental destruction,' he's unlikely to find the farmers who've been working the land for generations being sympathetic to his views. However much substance they hold, I would feel insulted.

Here's the response to the award.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  13. noushka05

This is the point he is making - only 12% of the lake District is covered by forest & woodland. The uplands shouldn't look like a barren moonscape - its a degraded ecosystem.

Compare the Lake District (or any of our uplands) with the Harz mountains in Germany (bottom pic) for example. The difference is shocking.

upload_2017-7-12_17-28-18.png

upload_2017-7-12_17-26-58.png

upload_2017-7-12_17-27-45.png

upload_2017-7-12_17-26-4.png

14. noushka05

He's an environmentalist giving an honest opinion. It is conservation groups & the UN he is angry with. How many trees will be planted to reduce flooding now, given the new UNESCO status?

15. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

You could make the same argument for all of mainland Britain. It was all Forrest at one time, we cut down the trees so we could farm the land, grow crops, raise livestock and make a living. The Mendips, the Quantocks, the peak district all are all devoid of trees on the high flat areas. People forget that after the war the Government encouraged Farmers to grow as much food and raise as much livestock as they could. What has happened in the LD is not a recent development. Herdwicks have been raised in the Lake District for 700 years too, again they are not a recent addition to the LDNP

MiffyMoo likes this.
  16. noushka05

But unlike the lowlands our uplands are infertile & sparsely populated. Sheep farming is heavily subsidised because it is unproductive & there are now twice as many sheep in Cumbria as there were in 1950 when the National Park was established. All our uplands are intensively managed, they are not wilderness, they are a mess - but we could rewild them.

I live pretty close to the PDNP & not too far away from the Yorkshire dales NP. It depresses me to see the devastation caused by the grouse moors. And we are subsidising this destruction too, its ridiculous.

You may know of Doug Tompkins & Kris Mcdivett Tompkins, they rewilded vast swathes of Patagonia & Chile. Doug sadly died a couple of years ago but his extraordinary legacy lives on. This quote by Kris nails it for me (& I'm sure George too) - "landscape without wildlife is just scenery".

17. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

I am sure this exact same debate must rage in New Zealand too where free roaming of sheep is even more intensive than in the uk.

18. noushka05

With a fast disappearing natural world - quite possibly lol Though have any sheepwrecked areas in NZ been designated a World Heritage Site? that is the question.

cbcdesign likes this.
  19. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Only in the minds of Hobbit fans! ;)

noushka05 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice