Lactofree milk

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by SuboJvR, Apr 16, 2018 at 7:33 AM.

1. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Now we aren't going to get in the habit of feeding our little guy this stuff but...

https://www.arlafoods.co.uk/lactofree/

This is the milk we use at home. Whenever I have a bowl of cereal, Joey is obsessed with trying to get some. Inevitably, one day, he's probably going to manage licking some out of the bowl.

I know cats are lactose intolerant so... would this actually do him harm?

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I don't think it will do any harm. I give mine goats milk on occasion

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Lactose is usually the ingredient in milk that gives many cats diarrhoea, but some may react to the casein content (which is in lactofree milk as well as in ordinary milk).

One of my cats adores goats milk (which is low in lactose) so I give her about 2 tablespoonfuls as a treat now and then. Any more than that gives her a loose stool. Try Joey with a teaspoonful of the Lactofree as an experiment, and see how he gets on. He may be fine with it. :)

#3 chillminx, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:29 PM
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018 at 10:38 PM
    SuboJvR likes this.
  4. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin PetForums Member

I’m keeping an eye on this as the last two nights Oscar has been milk mental! Perhaps I should get him some cat milk? He’s licked the edge of husbands empty milk glass earlier...seriously, he’s like the cravendale cats!

5. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I’m lactose intolerant, the rare occasions I have lactose free milk the rest goes to the cats with no issues.

Our girls regularly have goats milk with no problems too.

SuboJvR likes this.