Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lack Of Sleep

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by scotgirl1488, Jun 28, 2009.

1. scotgirl1488

scotgirl1488 PetForums Newbie

Hi all

I have a lovely cat but he is driving us mad during the night. Around 3-4am every morning he comes into our room crying and scratching for attention and waking us up. I have tried everything such as locking him out of the room but he scratches the door till we let him in. I always leave him out biscuits over night so he cant be hungry?

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thank you x

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

This is such a common problem - and unfotunately it is partof the territory with cats - they are naturally nocturnal and so take some training to not disturb you. But it can be done. From a previos post of mine,

It's a bit like sleep training kids - hard at first but they do eventualy crack.

Firstly find the room furthest away from your room and make that his room. Put him in it when you go to bed and say goodnight and then shove the ear plugs in - NO MATTER WHAT do not get up and see to him, you are only reinforcing the behaviour. Try to only let him out in the morning when he is quiet and on your terms - talk to him once you are up but don't get into the habit of always letting him out first, try to make it different every time so she doesn't expect anything. He may (probably will) cry all night for the first 3 or 4 nights he may not. But you need to be cruel to be kind. Develop it into a routine and stick to it. Within a week or two he will have adjusted to his new situation. It's hard but you have to be tough or this will carry on forever. If you feel the habit is too hard to break (cos you are knackered now) put him in a cattery for a couple of nights and then start the new routine. This will give him a break from home and you a couple of nights sleep.
    Oh, and if you don't have a room to put him in get a large dog cage (big enough for bed, litter tray and food and water) and use that - cover it with a blanket to make it dark and cosy and put it at the opposite end of the house from you.

Remember BE TOUGH and STICK TO YOUR GUNS - it can and will get better if you are consistant.

Hope that helps - if you ever get another cat start as you mean to go on.

kittykat likes this.
  3. scotgirl1488

scotgirl1488 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for all your help, I will definately try that :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice