Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lack of appetite

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by anna7899, Jun 30, 2020.

1. anna7899

anna7899 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have a 1 year old lab and she’s went off her food the last couple of days (will eat some egg and rice just not her dry food) she has been sick twice in 2 days, once being very foamy and had a little bit off food and grass in it. She’s also been pooping fine considering the lack of food, however she had a very runny poo today, she’s drinking water ok. She is bright and full of energy as normal, running around and coming for walks. She did swallow a very small pebble 5 days ago however assumed it would be small enough to pass through but it sure if it could be related?

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I would keep her on egg and rice as that's a bland diet, so if she's been sick and now loose stools she's obviously got a bit of an upset stomach. So keep feeding her little and often if she's still herself, no lethargy.

The stones.. If they were small could well past through and it could be coincidence.

The egg and rice should start to firm things up, and she should be going to toilet as normal in 24 hours. If she starts to vomit more, straining, lethargy. Then probably best to seek vets advice.. Of course if at all even after what I have said please phone the vets see what they suggest.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. anna7899

Thankyou, I will leave her tonight and keep an eye on her, will phone the vets tomorrow if she’s not improved.

lullabydream likes this.
  4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Hopefully it's just a bug. She started because she had an empty tummy so foamy puke as you say, ate grass later with food, tummy still felt unsettled even with eating.. Now her digested tract. Hopefully helping with the egg and rice. If you are making scrambled egg, for the egg part no milk make with water.

5. anna7899

Thankyou very much, will continue with egg and rice and hopefully see improvement soon!

lullabydream likes this.
  6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Yes sometimes they get into a vicious cycle. They get the hunger pukes (biley sick) and eat a bit of grass but don't want to eat proper food, which in turn makes them hungrier and makes them more sick. But if you are concerned I'd ring the vets, especially if she's been eating stones.

Lurcherlad and Torin. like this.
  7. anna7899

Thankyou, I haven’t had any experience with that before so never thought about it, will definitely keep it in mind!

8. Jimmie O'Chutt

Jimmie O'Chutt PetForums Junior

Hi, there! Keep her on the rise diet. Consider giving her a probiotic to normalize the stool. if she keeps on avoiding food I would recommend contacting your vet and scheduling an x-ray. With foreign bodies, you never know what to expect.

anna7899 likes this.
  9. anna7899

E58AF2E0-7D5D-4D8C-93F0-C1EE970E3732.jpeg Thankyou so much everyone for your replies! She seems to be back to her usual eating habits now and has solid stools, will still be keeping a close eye on her for any change at all but fingers crossed she seems to be 100% again!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice