Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lack of appetite - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Lottiecat, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Lottiecat

Lottiecat PetForums Member

I have an 11 year old male cat. Over the last 4 weeks I’ve noticed he’s not eating much. The neighbours have been banned from treats and feeding this week (!) to help me assess him. He seems interested in food, but has a couple of bites here and there, eating a maximum of a pouch or ¼ can a day. Today I've put treats on top of his food and he's eaten the jelly, but left them and meat. Have to admit I gave in and let him have milk as I don't want him dehydrated.

He has a wet nose, his teeth were fine at his annual check up in January and he was wormed then. He seems fine in himself chasing a butterfly yesterday and playing with a stick this morning. I've got some other food to try and dry to ensure he can eat okay. Also, going to try warming up food a little. If this fails, it will be a trip to the vet, but just wondered if anyone has any ideas what's up.

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello there Lottiecat, so hard to say what might be up with your little man. Since he is an outdoor cat he could have eaten something that upset him - though 4 weeks is a little long for that. But perhaps he chewed something that injured one of his teeth, so best get that checked out.

Have you recently changed the food? Is he pooping ok? Weeing ok? When you put the food in jelly down, can you perhaps mash it up a little with a fork to combine the meat and jelly a bit more or do you think he will then not touch it all?

3. Lottiecat

Lottiecat PetForums Member

Thank you for your reply. I will certainly try mashing up his food. I haven't changed his food recently, although over the last couple of days I've tried three different wet foods in case he's gone off his usual. I'll see how he is tomorrow, but I think I'll be arranging a vet appointment for Saturday.

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Ok, let us know how you guys get on :)

Oh, have you weighed him recently? Has he actually lost weight?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice