Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Labsky staying outside.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Crexer, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Crexer

Crexer PetForums Newbie

Hello!
    I'm thinking of getting a Labsky (Siberian Husky+Labrador mix). And I want to know if it can live outdoors all the time. I can't let the dog in the house because of personal reasons. Of course we would pay attention to him, keep him active and loved.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d say no - so now isn’t the right time for a dog imo.

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  3. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

I totally agree with @Lurcherlad. It is just not fair to keep a dog outside all the time.
    You wouldn't expect a human family member or friend to live outside would you?
    I would suggest you wait until your circumstances are such that you are able to have your dog live with you in the house as part of the family, which is exactly what dogs should be.

margy and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

It's not as simple as letting a dog live 'outdoors' all the time - because the simple answer to that one is no. Well, unless they are feral. It also depends on what part of the country (or what country) you are in in regard to weather conditions as to what you may need to provide. However, if you mean can you provide outdoor accommodation for a dog - a well built heated kennel and play area or maybe an insulated barn with outdoor run then of course this may be feasible. Many working dogs live outdoors in this manner but they tend to have handlers with them or working them most of the day.

However if you are looking to raise a pet then the logistics of not having the dog in the house at all does make things rather difficult and you will need to think this through very carefully as well. Most of us spend hours with our dogs just chilling out - relaxing on the sofa, watching tv, having the dog watch us cook in the kitchen - but if your dog is banned from the house this means this isn't going to happen - so you will have to spend these relaxing hours outside with the dog - what you call 'paying attention to him and keeping him active and loved' isn't as easy as it sounds when your dog is outside.

So I would think very carefully whether your situation is right for a dog at the moment.

J

margy, MontyMaude, Torin. and 4 others like this.
  5. The Wild Bunch

The Wild Bunch Owner of dogs and referee of children

In short, no
    Dogs, imo, should be part of the family and live indoors. My dogs have free reign in the house and thrive on human company as all dogs do. Being kept outside may be convenient for you but could result in psychological damage to the dog (pacing, barking, over-grooming are all signs of this) if you don’t want a dog in the house, perhaps adopt a cat that likes to be outside then it may only want to come in for meals and a quick head rub

6. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Senior

God No, I can only repeat what others say, I have a friend who has kennels in the garden but they are working prison dogs, when the weather turns they are indoors, they are family, also are you aware in the UK thefts from gardens are rising, so please wait till you have the right circumstances, Labradors are family pets with feelings and if left in a garden from puppy is not right

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

What is your point of having a dog. And why do you want to call it by a daft name instead of a lab or husky cross. There is nothing at all wrong with a dog being kennelled if it is a working dog or even a pet having a kennel it goes in at night and when you are not at home - but not all the time. A dog needs company and if you want a pet it needs to be with you. Both labs and huskies often are kept kennelled but in both cases they will be working dogs that are out usually kept with other canine company and are out working a lot of the day.

Lurcherlad and Linda Weasel like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice