Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Labrador who pulls towards other dogs on lead

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by lancashiregirl, Apr 3, 2011.

1. lancashiregirl

lancashiregirl PetForums Newbie

Hi

Can anyone please give me some pointers?

We have a 8 month old chocolate labrador male who walks brilliantly on the lead, walks to heel, sits at kerbs etc, all perfect until he sees another dog - then all he does is pulls as hard as he can to get close enough to play with them. Any ideas to keep him under control? He is so strong, but so well behaved apart from this.. We just have a basic leather collar for him with a leather lead

2. shells

shells PetForums VIP

hi there, i have a 4yr old choc labrador same hes really good untill he sees another animal. i got the halti collar and it has made life so much easier i have the one with the clip that clips on to the collar hes a diffrent dog now its fab.:)

3. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

One of my newfies is exactly the same; he just wants to play, but obviously I cannot hold him if he wants to go. He wears a dogmatic headcollar, with a double ended lead. One end attaches to the headcollar, the other to his collar, so you can still have him on a loose leash and the headcollar only comes into play when it is needed. The dogmatic is cushioned, so doesn't cut in, and doesn't ride up the eyes. It is also pretty, so people don't mistake it for a muzzle. It is only for back up, but I need it. Also, once he found out he couldn't drag me where he wanted, he doesn't try so much but I still wouldn't trust him without it along the road.

The other thing you can try is to turn him the other way and walk off in that direction, then give him a treat if he doesn't react to the other dog. You may have some luck with a labrador doing that, which is probably better in the way of training, but no way could I do it with Ferdie, he is just far too strong.

4. lancashiregirl

Thanks for that, do you have a link to a similar collar so I know which one you are talking about?

5. lancashiregirl

Thankyou - I have got to say, I have never had a lab before and I am a real convert, he is lovely natured, sensitive and loving, the pulling when he sees another dog is his only fault! We got him at 11 weeks old and have only had one puddle in the house!

6. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

If you put dogmatic into Google, you should find their site from which you can buy direct and they have a size guide. They come in all different sizes. Or you can get them on Ebay here

Dogmatic Headcollar in Padded Webbing Size 8 Blue on eBay (end time 06-Apr-11 17:49:07 BST)

This size is for my dog, so go to Dogmatic first anyway then you can see what size he needs. They are not cheap, but they do work. You will have to spend some time desensitizing him to it before you use it, i.e. show it, treat, hang it on his nose, treat, let him wear it in the house, lots of treats etc. If you just shove it on he is going to object, strongly.

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Yet another slightly shameless plug for the size 2 Dogmatic I am selling in Dog Classifieds if you are interested!! Only selling as Kilo has outgrown it and is in a 3L now within the space of 6 weeks or so, so nice condition!!

I absolutely love this headcollar and use it in the same way as newfiesmum (as a back up, certainly no replacement for training- heard of their use through her on this forum actually!). Kilo walks as your dog does really nicely but is hard to handle if he really wants something and is very, very strong. I don't always use it, but do if we go anywhere crowded / exciting where he needs to remain on lead etc. He tolerates it very well and doesn't try to remove it or seem in any discomfort otherwise; he just walks normally.

8. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Gee, thanks! There you go then, Dogless has a hardly used one for sale, much cheaper I expect for you to try.

9. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Would probably fit most labs, as Kilo is now bigger than the labs that we met by quite a way ;)

Plug over...but there if you need it!!

10. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

Make sure you reward the dog for any distance passes of dogs without attempting to close with them, then gradually get closer; reward the good, not simply try to prevent the uncontrolled approach.

Secondly, you might try teaching your dog to "Ignore!" things, by having them look at something, then reward with a treat so they must turn their head, and give you a chance to get their full attention away from whatever they're likely to fix on.

I did see a Choc. Lab owner with a large dog, who methodically sat him to side as we went by; we talked a little and then approached and let the dogs mix, and I suggested using a harness or head collar, to give more control as she found him too strong to control comfortably when pulling. So glad to see the like thinking already mentioned on this one!

#10 RobD-BCactive, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  11. talassie

talassie PetForums Newbie

Something else you might like to try which a trainer suggested to me.

When you see a dog approaching, sit the dog between your legs facing forward in a reverse present and wait for him to calm down. If you need to you can hold the collar and feed treats. This helped me a lot because it gave me much more control.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice