Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Labrador snarling/snapping (only when i'm walking him)

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Richard Misters, May 5, 2010.

1. Richard Misters

Richard Misters PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

Just retracting the post I originally wrote. Thanks for the replies.

Regards
    Richard

#1 Richard Misters, May 5, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hello Richard,
    If you have been stressed,that could be a contributor,When you have been out walking him and 'thinking' of whatever made you stressed,have you ever been a bit short with him wanting to play with other male dogs?
    Also,has he been neutered?

3. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I hope other more experienced people come along to reply, a couple of things that stick out to me, I've got two bitches, one very archetypal Labrador, happy to see everyone and everything, the other, happy to make friends, but will squash a dog without manners. Regardless of either character, I never let them go running up to strange dogs, and endeavour, although it's sometimes difficult with Indie the flirtiest gertie in the world, to ensure they wait to be allowed to run up to dogs they know. So I have a 'go play' command, until they're told they can 'go play', they shouldn't move, I say shouldn't because they're not robots, and things don't always go to plan. So I just wondered if you have a similar command, which might help with responses?

Also, the lying down thing, isn't necessarily 'common' amongst Labs, more common with collies, although Labs do have collie in there. One of my bitches does this, BUT she only does it with my other dog, she never does it with other dogs, known or unknown.

Not much advice there, but just for comparison might be useful, and also hopefully you might be able to expand a bit on a couple of bits of the unwanted behaviour.

The only other thing I'd say is just be careful with sticks, dogs have died from owners throwing sticks from them, or had serious injuries. You are better off carrying a tennis ball or other retrieve toy with you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice