Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Labrador/retriever ear infection now anxiety?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Mdw218, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Mdw218

Mdw218 PetForums Newbie

Hi all looking for a bit of advice or ideas.

My Labrador retriever tyke is 5 years old, usually a loving happy dog who never cries/whines, no destructive behaviour or barking etc very chilled, content and sleeps a lot.

Last saturday he started scratching at his right ear and we noticed it looked very red so we took him to the emergency vets and he had an ear infection that was treated with antibiotic drops, anti inflammatory injection and cleaning solution, this all helped massively and the whole time he still seemed completely fine and usual in himself.

On the next Wednesday we had a follow up at our own vets who decided to use Osurnia 7 day gel ear treatment for dogs instead of daily drops and also gave him worming and flea treatment ( milbemax and simparica) both which tyke has never had from these brands. Wednesday evening tyke seemed a bit unsettled, crying now and then and pacing which we assumed was discomfort from being wormed etc.

Today (Sunday) we have been back to the emergency vets as Saturday things got progressively worse and tyke was pacing none stop, crying and whining loudly, panting continuously and could not settle until 2am. The vet did a brief psychical examination and said he seemed healthy and it anxiety and prescribed him calming tablets. We asked if it was possible side effect from the medications but the vet said no he doesn’t believe so.

We’ve decided to not give him this medication as we’re going to go back to our own vets tomorrow for a second opinion, tyke is still unable to get comfortable which to me seems like it’s because he’s breathing so fast? He will lay down to try and sleep then sit up to try and catch his breath and even in his sleep he’s breathing roughly 150 breaths per minute. Has anyone had a similar experience or any ideas what could be going on? He’s still happy to play with us although pants and breaths heavily non stop, wants cuddles (still pants), and is drinking like usual although eating a lot less.

Any ideas or advice would be really appreciated!

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

That doesn't sound normal to me to be honest.

His breathing rate is definitely extremely high,though am sure the Vet must have checked his heart rate.

Would definitely take him back to the vets for a second opinion.

3. Mdw218

Mdw218 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your reply, this is what I’m worried about it seems like his fast breathing is at the root of what’s going on. The only time he calls out and cries is when his breathing gets faster and out of control and when he tries to play he gasps for breath and whines till it settles down a bit again. And the panting even in his sleep too. The vet did listen to his heart rate but he said he was anxious so that’s why it’s racing, but would anxiety cause a racing breathing even in sleep?

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Definitely does not sound right. Not sure how he can be doing 150 breaths per minute. When my dog had a serious respiratory problem she breathed without a break and was about 60 to the minute. Are you counting both in and out by mistake. Still far too high whatever. Anxiety sounds a most odd diagnosis. You can get panting and high respiration rate through stress at the vets but if his resting rate is so high I would be worried there is something very wrong.

niamh123 and lullabydream like this.
  5. lullabydream

Agree with @Blitz, yes dogs that are anxious at the vets and can show symptoms but he's at home and it doesn't seem right and respiration rate is sky high.

Don't know if it is a side effect of medications, could be just a coincidence but definitely not right.

If it was happening whilst he was a just a wake, could be classic signs of being aroused by a bitch in season with panting and crying, getting over wrought but sleeping not at all. I say this from experience as my old dog did initially worry me with how he reacted to bitches in season and I did get his heart checked twice, till it twigged and fitted in especially with next doors bitch being in season. He would settle, and sleep though.

6. Mdw218

Mdw218 PetForums Newbie

Hiya thanks for your reply, this was counting each breath in none of the outs and was at his was I would say worst breathing. It’s not this high continuously but always over 80 I would say. The vet we saw at the out of hours didn’t check his temp etc but said it’s just anxiety and he’s hot because he has a double coat so I’m very unconvinced in his diagnosis to be honest. Did you find anything that helped to lower your dogs breathing rate when she was struggling by any chance?

7. Mdw218

Mdw218 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your reply, I did wonder about the medications and check the side effects, the two ear medications he’s been given both say they can cause problems with the adrenaline glands which is something I think needs bringing up with the vets as resting high heart rate seems to be a warning symptom!

There’s no female dogs around that I know of, but with the breathing rate in his sleep being so high again I tend to agree that wouldn’t be the case either the same with the anxiety diagnosis.

I was worried I was over panicking since he’s been seen by a vet by the replies here have definitely helped to reassure me that it’s something that should have a second opinion, thank you!

lullabydream likes this.
  8. lullabydream

Usually if your dog has a heart problem, or you suspect a heart problem. Keeping an eye on respiration rate at home helps...anything over 30 is of worry.

I don't know if it's worth calling the out of hours vets back to explain, especially if he's had calming medication and you have seen no results on his respiration rate.

Am not saying it's his heart at all, but that's the guidance given by most vets. Especially those that might have a high respiration rate at the vets due to anxiety. If it's happening whilst sleeping I would be concerned.

I completely understand not phoning back the out of hours vets because you have lost faith in them.

The best you can do would be keep him cool to the best of your ability.

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

How is he today. I would get straight to the vet this morning if he has not improved.

My dog was xrayed to check her for an enlarged heart. Her heart was fine but her bronchial tubes were thickened so she is on a steroid inhaler which controls it. Unlikely to be the same problem with your dog.

lullabydream likes this.
  10. Mdw218

Mdw218 PetForums Newbie

Unfortunately still seems the same this morning. He managed to get a bit more sleep last night than he did on Saturday which has helped a little bit the panting/breathing still seems to be the same.

Rang the vets this morning when they opened and they said to bring him down at 3 this afternoon so the vet can check him and see what’s going on, fingers crossed they’ll get to the bottom of it.

Bit nervous that he’s also due his second dose of ear medication on Wednesday and not knowing wether this can cause the symptoms he’s showing now wether or not to go ahead with it

lullabydream likes this.
  11. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Did you check the side effects for his worm and flea treatment:)

12. lullabydream

Please keep us updated on what the vets say

13. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Did the vet give you a reason for this happening:)

14. Mdw218

Mdw218 PetForums Newbie

The vet we saw today at our own practice said it’s definitely not anxiety, she thinks it’s one of three things - the least likely is there is a bitch in heat near by but he would be having an extreme reaction and it seems unlikely since he’s like it out the house as well as at home. The second is a reaction to the ear gel medication because it stays in his system for 7 days and the third is a heart problem.

She tried listening to his heart today but his panting and breathing was so out of control still that she couldn’t hear it so she said she wants to see him again on Wednesday and if it has calmed down at all by then hopefully it’s a reaction to the medication, if it hasn’t she will sedate him and do xrays of his heart.

Thank you all for your replies and concern, it’s been very worrying!

lullabydream likes this.
  15. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

If I had a dog whose breathing and panting was out of control, I would not be waiting until Wednesday.

It may be a reaction to medication, but there could also be other causes, none of which are a 'wait and see' situation.

I would want more urgent action now.

Apart from this, your poor dog must feel dreadful.

16. lullabydream

I can't see breathing problems, respiration problems associated with the ear medication. If it proves to be that...it needs to be reported.

As it is steroid based it's a would be a rare contradiction but needs to be reported by the vet.

17. Mdw218

Mdw218 PetForums Newbie

My husband and I agreed that if it got worse we wouldn't be waiting that long, but touch wood last night Tyke seemed to improve dramatically. His breathing calmed down a lot and he actually managed to sleep, a lot less crying whining etc. This morning we've woken up and his breathing seems almost completely normal, hes voluntarily eaten something for the first time in three days and he seems so much more like his old self it's a huge relief. I think we can hopefully rule out any serious breathing/heart conditions.

18. Mdw218

Mdw218 PetForums Newbie

The vet did say it's very rare for a dog to have such a bad reaction to medication (specifically steroids) but it does happen, If you see my above reply Tyke has improved so much since last night its almost unreal so I really do believe its the medicine since she said it will be completely out of his system by Wednesday. He's meant to have a second dose then but I will be definitely asking the vets for alternate treatment, it seems very coincidental that all this started the same day he had the treatment and calmed down the day before its due again.

I will definitely mention to her about the side effects list of the medicine not clearly mentioning what he's been through as well, would not want another pet owner or pet to go what we've been through this week!

lullabydream likes this.
  19. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Pleased he is improving:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice