Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Labrador Puppy Help !

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by nikfoster09, Aug 10, 2009.

1. nikfoster09

nikfoster09 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Hope someone can help or give some advise.

After months of searching and research we have decided that we would like to get a black bitch lab puppy. We went to visit a breader last night and found 3 little pups in a wonderful family/farm enviroment. We were able to see both parents and have no concerns about there upbringing and history to date.

We live in a 3 bed house open pln dowstairs and utility room with a mid-sized garden, we dont have any children but are planning on trying late next year (after our wedding) we have a rabbit and a 1 year old tabby cat (famale) we both work 9-5 mon-fri but i am able to come home for at least 40 mins on a lunch time and early some days. we are active enough to be able to walk the dog every morning, lunchtime and evenings duriung the week and obviously alot at weekends.

we are planning on getting a crate to help train the dog and would use the utility room and a child gate to keep the pup in during the day while we are at work.

We are planning on taking the week off to help introduce the pup into our home.

Sorry for all the information, I would love to hear from some Lab owners and get their opinions to find out if they feel we would have any major problems with our set up or current living situations.

Thanks

Nick

2. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I think the only problem will be the length of time you work. I have a labby myself aswell as 5 other dogs and i dont know if its just her or if its the whole breed but she doesnt like being left for too long and she is 4 years old.

I would consider waiting until someone will be home longer

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Do you know if the parents have been health tested? Hips are a must with labs, and i think they have their elbows done and eyes.

I think 9-5 is far too long for a puppy. Maybe an older rescue would be more suitable. Many will be used to being left for such a long time.

4. Molly's Mum

Molly's Mum PetForums VIP

Hi

I apologise now if this post offends anyone ;) Molly has just had her litter and the pups have all gone to their new homes now. I personally turned down 4 prospective new owners as they worked full time and the pup would be left for long periods during the day.

I do not advocate leaving a new pup - sorry

5. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

when we got fletcher my partner was off sick and was at home for 2months with him. i think u mite need more than a week to ensure the pup is used to the new routine. by the time after my partner went back to work we were lucky that his parents were getting a lot of work done in the house and needed somewhere to go so that was another 2weeks with someone, then as a teacher i had 2weeks off work at easter, so he was 5months before he was left. i took him a walk in the morning, the dog walker took him for an hour in the afternoon(not walking all that time as he was still young) and i walked him in the evening. he had a run outside and a hut. i have to say i felt very guilty leaving him although he didnt seem to mind and loved going in his run as he got his treat ball and toys. i felt he was better being outside as it was more stimulating and if he'd been left in the house he would have wrecked it with chewing. at first he cried a little when left in his run but then he didnt cry or bark at all. he was a very affectionate dog and if i could have been at home with him all the time i would have. think it would have benefitted us all more. anyway, unfortunately we lost him due to an accident a month ago, he was only 7months, and i think if we were to get another dog it would be a breed more suited to being left alone and it probably wouldnt be till next summer when i have 7weeks at home. i dont want to be one of those people that say u cant get a dog if u work but i think u need to think it through very carefully because it is so stressful.

6. Vikegirl

Vikegirl PetForums Junior

We waited 11 years to get a dog. Yes, that's ELEVEN years. :rolleyes: Firstly, we were both working, then we were planning a family, then we were busy with babies, then we wanted to wait til the kids were old enough. It's only now that our youngest has been at school for a year that we feel it's the right time. I'm at home all day. Maybe we did this to excess, but we didn't want to get it wrong.

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You must have the patience of a saint!

Well done though. Have you got your dog or are you in the run-up?

What breed?

8. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Im the same

Someone last year wanted one of Kaydees springer pups. They worked full time but said its ok as they would leave the radio on for her when they were at work

I couldnt believe they thought that was ok

9. Vikegirl

Vikegirl PetForums Junior

We're getting a mini schnauzer puppy in 3 weeks and 6 days. :D

All very exciting after such a long wait.

10. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i agree with the above posters, thats a long time to leave a puppy alone for. if you were going to consider getting one in the near future, i would suggest maybe looking into seeing if anyone can come stay with the wee dog for some time during the day, be it a dog walker or a family member or friend. young puppies require a lot of attention, i would say especially with labs as they can get fairly destructive if bored.

with my last dog, we were in the position that my mum was at home a lot of the time and so he wasnt really left for any longer than an hour or two at a time until he was about 5months old. and with my new puppy just now, im currently not working so am at home with her all the time.

just something to consider.

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Best of luck. I met two last weekend, and was surprised how sweet and non-yappy they were. They even had a little run around with one of my SBT's, and i dont usually let him off with small dogs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice