Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Labrador pup soiling crate

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by FoxRedDon, Jul 19, 2017.

1. FoxRedDon

FoxRedDon PetForums Newbie

Hello. I have a 5 and a half month old fox red Labrador puppy. The problem we have at the moment is when he is left alone in his crate he wee's and pooh's inside it and depending how long after he's done it that we return, it is usually all over him.

He is alone 4 days a week for the morning only, between me leaving for work and my partner returning up to 4/5 hours later.

Initially his crate door was open and a pen attached so he had a bigger area. He was pretty good in this situation and would usually toilet on the puppy pad in the penned area. Occasionally he would walk in it, but I think that was accidental.

Unfortunately he is now big enough to jump over the pen, so we had to remove it. We then kept him in the kitchen with a baby gate across the door way, but now he leaps that too! Next stage was closing the kitchen door, but he scratches at that. So we've had to resort to crating him. He doesn't seem distressed when we leave him, he doesn't whine or bark, he just gets on with eating the kong etc he is left with.

Everyday this week so far he has been completely covered in his own mess when we have returned home, despite being walked and toileted before he is left.

At night time he sleeps in our room and can hold his toilet for more than 8 hours. He used to sleep in his crate, but he would still wake in the night to toilet. Once he moved to our room this stopped. He now doesn't really use his crate apart from in the mornings when he is alone.

We read that dogs shouldn't soil their bed, but he has always done it in his crate if we didnt get to him quick enough. Is he doing it now because he doesn't see the crate as his den?

If anyone has any ideas how we can stop this or a better solution for containing him it would be much appreciated. It's horrible to find him in a mess and it must be very distressing for him.

Oh we have also contacted some dog walkers to come in while we are at work about half way through the time he is alone, we're waiting to hear back.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. Pixie2010

Pixie2010 PetForums Senior

At 5 months he probably just can't hold it for 4/5 hours. It's also a long time to leave a puppy crated.
    You can buy dog gates which are higher than baby gates which may help, but ultimately a dog walker sounds s much better idea!

Burrowzig and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

No, he's doing it now because he can't hold his wee's and poo's for 5 hours. It's far too long for a puppy.

Puppies and dogs don't want to soil their beds ...they start to wee and poo away from their bed area as soon as they can walk around 2.5 to 3 weeks of age. But if they need to go, they need to go and if locked in a crate they have no choice ......soiling their bed is very distressing for a pup. It is also distressing because when their owners get home there is a lot of fuss rather than lots of happy greeting ....and this can make a dog very anxious because they don't know what they have done wrong.

And staying dry at night isn't the same thing at all I'm afraid ...they're asleep at night. (If they wake they invariably need to go).

So I would revert to getting a baby gate (a tall one) and leaving him with the run of the kitchen so if your puppy soils then it isn't near his bed. I don't like puppy pads but as you aren't there to take him out they may have to be used. Getting a dog walker to come in to let your puppy out for a wee and give him a short walk or play would be the best idea and I would do this until he is old enough to manage the 4 to 5 hours (which will probably be just a few months.)

J

Cleo38, Burrowzig and Twiggy like this.
  4. FoxRedDon

FoxRedDon PetForums Newbie

Thanks very much both. We weren't aware that night time holding and day time holding were different, so thank you for that. We're going back to run of the kitchen and just closing the door – rather him scratch a little than try and jump a gate – the one we have is nearly the height of the tall pet gates so I dont' think it'd be long before he'd able to jump that too. We've also heard back from a dog walker and they are coming to meet him at the weekend so we should have a dog walker in place next week. Thanks for your help again.

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  5. jojora

jojora PetForums Junior

I'd also make sure to give his crate and everything in it a very thorough cleaning. Once it's acquired the smell of potty, a dog will continue to see it as a potty place.

Bella92 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice