Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Labrador Jumping up and Play Biting

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by hamer1l, May 6, 2010.

1. hamer1l

hamer1l PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone

I was wondering whether anyone could give me some advice on our Labrador Penny who seems to like jumping up on us and visitors to the house.
    She is 2 1/2 years old and we have only had her for 6 weeks as she is from a rescue. she has previously been mistreated but she is coming on a treat and responding to training.

the only things we seem to be struggling with is her jumping up and also play biting.

For example when one of us comes down the stairs or into the house she has a tendancy to jump up - what is the best way to deal with this? we tell her no and to get down but she will just jump up again? do we need to turn our back on her?

as for the play biting she is a very energetic labrador and loves to play - she is very puppy like - the rescue centre said as she had been severley mistreated since she was young they had to allow her to go back to being a puppy as she had missed out.

She loves to play with the tug rope but on some occasions she will divert her attention from the rope to the sleeve of my jumper or my arm. She doesn't bite hard but obviously we don't want to promote this type of behaviour. We do tell her no and stop playing when she bites but quite often when we play rope the next time she will play bite again. What is the best method to get the message across??

any comments appreciated - Thanks :)

2. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Turn around and ignore her when she jumps up. If she bites squeal or yelp loudly and turn away and ignore her until she calms down. If that gets her more excited just ignore or put her out of the room until she calms down

3. cutekiaro1

cutekiaro1 PetForums VIP

same as above. When she bites/nips turn your back and ignore her (try yelping although this could excite her more) when she is calm then reward with either a good rub or a treat. When she jumps up stand still with your back to her until she has sat down quietly (she will eventually) then treat or stroke. You can practice the jumping up with visitors. Make her sit when they knock on the door and tell her to wait while you open it (these may be commands that need working on seperatly before you put them together) if she jumps when they come in tell them to totally ignore her, no talking, stoking or eye contact. She will soon get the idea that jumping up means no attention.

Good luck any piccies of her :D

4. hamer1l

hamer1l PetForums Newbie

hi both

thanks for your comments, I will give them a go. I have just put a couple of pictures of her in the pet photos section.

Hopefully she will get the message! :thumbup:

5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

She's beautiful

6. hamer1l

hamer1l PetForums Newbie

thank you! I can't believe she has been so badly treated previously - I am glad we have got her now. :)

7. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

May also be a good idea to stop the tugg game with her until she understands play biting isnt acceptable,They often get confused about whats play and whats not.
    Labs are monkeys for jumping,but i agree that turning your back does work.
    Hopefully after youve had her for a while she will improve.she sounds lovely,congrats to you (im off to nosey at her pics lol) :)

8. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Oh she is beautiful!!! lucky you.

9. hamer1l

hamer1l PetForums Newbie

Thank you! We have started the turning our back technique when she jumps, I will give you all an update soon to let you know how we are getting on!

She is very intelligent so I am sure she will pick it up quickly. she is like a bouncing bean at the moment!

Thanks again for your help.

Take care

10. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

Looking forward to hearing her progress, and she is a very pretty lab:p

11. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

also....make sure you keep the tuggy game at a low level....this will help to discourage the jumping. good for you for rescuing her..... she is adorable!

slightly different scenario but my foster Staffy is a jumper upper! she came to me to be calmed down and i have achieved this by playing low down games and by making her sit and wait if she does jump up. once she has sat and waited i throw the toy or tuggy away from me so that she is learning the retrieve. when she is about 3 steps away from me i command her to sit and give which gives me enough distance to stop her from jumping up me with a soggy tuggy in her mush!

hope this helps
    gilly

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice