UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)Hi i am new i have got a 9 week old labradoodles puppy had him a week today all is going OK . How much should i feed him he has 4 feed a day around 30g and looks at me for food all the time.anyone got any good tips on training?

G

·
Hi
What food are you feeding?
you will need to increase the food by a small quantity ever week, your pup will grow very quickly :)

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
There should be a guide on the bag of food you've got, usually they are generous with the guides, obviously then you'd get through a bag of food that bit quicker and need to buy another one.

For a young pup, all the advice I have been given and what I did with my two, is to concentrate on the basics, recall being the one you really need to get nailed. I was more successful with the second one, so I must have learnt a little bit of handling skills along the way, and I hope to be even more successful with the third, possibly fourth!

I always suggest a good book for beginners to training is one by a chap called John Weller, extremely knowledgeable about dogs, and training, the book is called 'A Simple Approach to Gundog Training' - don't let the gundog bit put you off, it concentrates on basic obedience, something every gundog needs, and a lot of pet owners want! And the profits from the book, which is only cheap in any case, go towards a rescue charity, so you can do a bit for a good cause too.

Hope that helps and good luck with your pup!

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Nothing to add except congratulations on your new pup.

What's he called and pics please:D:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I'd get him off Pedigree sharpish, and on a better food for him, if I were you :)

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
I would say thats not very much food, especially for quite an unnutritious food.

My pup (golden) came to me on Jameswellbeloved and she was having 72g 4 times a day.

Have a hop over to the health and nutrition section and a little read of the 'best dog foods' threads.
You wont find a unanimous decision on the best food. But should give you an idea.
while your having a look on the side of your pedigree bag for the feeding amounts have a look at the ingredients, do you want to be feeding your K9 4% meat? all those additives and colourings etc.

Good luck with your new puppy, have you got any piccies we can see?

G

·
i once looked after one for a few weeks they are lovely dogs and so funny at times they love everyone:thumbup:

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
Hi, bit vague but when my retriever came home at 7.5 weeks he was on four meals and got 1/2 a puppy pouch and a handful of kibble each time. I don't know how much it was it was just 'a handful' but he was easily eating more back then than he is now at 20 months old, they really do eat lots when babies :thumbup:

You got any photos?

G

·
I'd get him off Pedigree sharpish, and on a better food for him, if I were you :)
While I agree with this. I would leave changing food until your pup is through the first stressful weeks in a new home and after inoculations are finished

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.