Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Labradoodle Regrets

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Starlite, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I think that's a fairly old article ;)

3. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

aww damn is it? Always the last to know. . . :eek:

4. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

It keeps surfacing every now and again, we can pretend it's new if it makes you feel better :p

5. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I can't believe he's the sole reason for all the ridiculous crosses there are about today. I have no idea TBH but weren't there crossed pedigree's before he did this?

I happen to be one of the fans of the Doodle's though and hope the day will come when they are properly bred with health tests on both sides. :)

This guy Buddy in rescue is adorable IMO and i'd have him at the drop of a hat -
    Irish Wolfhounds at Gentle Giants Rescue and Adoptions - as I would many on this site but I don't suppose they have had health tests done on the parents. :(

6. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

There always have been cross breeds its just that the doodle became really popular and over here was seen as a 'must have'!! I think they are fab dogs, look good, great characters etc. Other poodle crosses are popular as they are similar but littler - some people want a dog smaller than the Labradoodle.

Am I right in thinking the Flat coated retriever was originally a Red setter crossed with a Newfoundland.... not 100% sure about that!

7. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

The flat coated retriever is an older breed type than the Lab, but no doubt it has some setter in there, not sure about Newfoundland, possibly lesser Newfoundland, which is the breed type behind the Lab, and more than likely some spaniel too. I've not read much into the background yet, well, not as much as Labs, but will get round to it I'm sure.

8. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

He is lovely - but then IMHO ALL dogs are lovely - it's some of the breeders I have an issue with :(

His story however epitomises why we warn those who want cross-breeds that they won't really know what they've got until they've got it and it's grown up - I have greater respect for those who get these crosses because they actually like, and are prepared to accept the unexpected whatever that might be - and are working hard to get the right message out there for people who genuinely want cross-breeds for reasons other than "they are sooo cute" :rolleyes: - all puppies are cute - all dogs are lovely - but so long as people keep buying these poorly bred pups, cross-breeds and pedigrees with no insight into what they are taking on, the problem will never go away :(

==============================

The story about regret is an old old one - it was published if I remember last year - but was covered in Readers Digest some time before that - I can remember it being one of the few times I've sat in the Doctors waiting room and hoped that I wouldn't be called too quickly as I wanted to finish reading and didn't have the courage to pinch it :eek:

9. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

Crossbreeding is nothing new - most pedigree/KC recognised breeds were created by crossbreeding, for instance Bull Terriers (guess the cross!) and Dobermanns have a mix of breeds in their make up.

I have 2 Labradoodles which are in my opinion great pets - but the current craze for crossing breeds is getting as silly as the names they give the "breed". I have seen a Beagle/Pug (Puggle?) cross that some one bought for £700. It looks like a sandy coloured weedy Beagle, and shows no sign of its Pug ancestry apart from a slightly shorter muzzle and small ears. It is not a pretty dog:(

10. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Have to say I'm very lucky that I have the Mals to keep me in check as I would likely have more dogs and looking at Buddy can't for the life of me imagine how anyone could give him up, don't care what size he'll get to!

How can anyone buy a dog of Buddy's breed mix and not expect a big dog - God they make me sick!!! :mad:

11. shetlandlover

shetlandlover PetForums VIP

Cross breeding is not new, its not all down to this fella however he's part of the reason for all these silly named crosses.

Growing up I would see cross breed litters in the paper, corner shop or neighbours would have the 1 or 2 "oops" litters and they were always either free to good home or a small fee to recoup any costs such as c-section ect. They were always advertised as cross breeds or mongrels. Now some go for way more than their pedigree counterparts.

I saw an advert the other day, nearly spat my tea everywhere...

Its a sales ploy, I must say I do have a soft spot for cocker spaniels cross poodles....they are cute but the silly name thing is getting out of hand.

My old girl is a gsd cross collie not a border german. :lol: or collie shepherd she's just a cross, a good old cross.....

12. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

They probably got told he'd be poodle sized or something. And chances are they thought toy poodle rather than standard.

13. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Probably because the breeder (for want of a better word) spun the new owners a yarn and they fell for it :(

Irish Wolfhounds are a stunning graceful breed - I always tease my OH when we are at shows if he has been whinging about my gang :lol:

14. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I'd love an Irish Woolfhound but since reading about the Deerhound have decided that's my next dog ;) They don't have the nervous capabilities of the Woolfhound and I love huge scruffy dogs. In fact the breed description of the Deerhound makes them sound ideal as pets as well as workers. Very similar to the Greyhound in fact. Lovely dogs! :001_tt1:

15. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

That's what irritates me. People that get crosses and then moan about what they turn out like.

Be prepared! I knew I was going to have a bundle of fun with Roo. Knew exactly what to expect with him being a JRT cross, but no idea which one he would take after more. And lets face it, a JRT x Westie isn't gonna get big is it??!

Some people are just morons.

16. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

beware of the sales ploy " don't moult " no they might not but they will matt!!!

17. ukdogkennels

ukdogkennels PetForums Newbie

cute dogs!

18. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

Correct. We've got a mini goldendoodle and while she doesn't shed she does matt - just as soon as her fur gets long enough. I have to be very vigilant with the slicker brush and she hates it. And the thing of it is you just never know what kind of fur you're going to get when you mix them. I've met a goldendoodle that was all golden (owner said she shed all over the place) and a labradoodle that was mostly lab except for his beard and some scruffy spots - still cute as all get out though.

I love doodles, but it does seem like the cuter the name the easier the sell and you hear of more and more new crossbreeds these days. Almost like they're choosing which breeds to cross based on the name/s they can come up with.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice