Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Labour sacks Shadow Ministers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kimthecat, Jun 29, 2017.

1. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

:( Is the fighting never going to end ?

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-06-29/dozens-of-labour-mps-defy-corbyn-to-back-umunna-brexit-amendment/

Labour has sacked three shadow ministers who joined dozens of their colleagues in defying the party to back a Queen's Speech amendment calling for Britain to remain in the single market and customs union.

Andy Slaughter, Ruth Cadbury and Catherine West were all dismissed as splits were revealed within Jeremy Corbyn's party following the leader's call for MPs to abstain.

Some 49 Labour MPs joined a group including the SNP and Liberal Democrats in voting in support of the amendment tabled by former shadow cabinet minister Chuka Umunna
    A total number of 101 MPs backed the amendment against 322 against.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has committed to ending free movement of EU citizens and leaving the single market.

His party had campaigned on a promise to attempt to retain the "exact same benefits" of the trade bloc in Brexit negotiations.

.The Brexit-related vote came after the government fought off a Labour amendment calling for an end to austerity by 323 votes to 297 and before a final vote in favour of the Queen's Speech, which was approved by 323 votes to 309.

MiffyMoo and Elles like this.
  2. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

Interesting. Let's see who's the first leader to go, Mr Corbyn or Mrs May. Has to be said Mr Corbyn doesn't seem to be able to hold onto a shadow cabinet for more than a few months. Thank god he lost the election, it seems he has no control or respect from his party.

3. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

It's such a shame that Jeremy can't find a money tree.

You know, just like the one the bleedin' Tories came up with...:rolleyes:

He could buy himself a cabinet.:)

Just so long as it ain't from IKEA.

MrsZee, ZoeM, noushka05 and 2 others like this.
  4. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

@Dr Pepper I think it will be May who goes first .

5. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

You are probably right, I'm notoriously bad at politics.

Elles likes this.
  6. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

You've got one thing in common with our politicians then. ;)

Dr Pepper, Lurcherlad and kimthecat like this.
  7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

TBH Its anyones guess! Every thing has been topsy turvey lately .

@Elles :Hilarious

Dr Pepper and Elles like this.
  8. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

Not Labour. Corbyn.
    Funniest joke after his twist on Brexit.
    He changes his mind after every election.

Didn't he less than a month ago support access to single market?
    Can we sack all MPs and put our cats, dogs, horses instead?
    More trustworthy.
    Brexit really rot this country before ur even happened.

DT, ZoeM and kimthecat like this.
  9. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

I personally think Corbyn was wrong to have whipped the vote. I think any kind of brexit is going to be bad for us but leaving the single market was in the manifesto.

Caroline Lucas's reaction -

Caroline Lucas
    ‏Verified account@CarolineLucas 14h14 hours ago

Real shame to see Labour whipping abstention on amendment by @ChukaUmunna.
    Best hope for economy & public services is Single Market

And John Prescott's.

John Prescott‏Verified account@johnprescott 12h12 hours ago

How can some MPs rebel against policy in a manifesto that massively increased their majorities,
    won 30 extra seats & forced hung parliament?

upload_2017-6-30_7-32-12.png

upload_2017-6-30_7-32-29.png

MrsZee and KittenKong like this.
  10. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

The problem with the Labour manifesto is that it is contradictory. You can't "put jobs and the economy first" and then pledge to leave the single market. The Tories are still talking about negotiating zero tariff trade and no customs checks. Both parties are being simply disingenuous.

Chuka Umunna and those who voted for the amendment are the only ones not promising something that can't be delivered.

The truth is that the benefits of tariff-free trade and frictionless borders are what you get when you join the EU, not when you leave it.

11. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Must admit, I thought Labour (apart from Corbyn and a couple of others) wanted to stay in the Eu, but failing that, stay in the single market with free movement. It seems I was wrong.

We will replace May's reckless approach to Brexit with a reckless one of our own. At least we would if we knew what they, or we were doing, but no one knows that. :D

Seems that only the British Public actually wanted to leave the Eu, big business and politics didn't. So politicians are trying to keep it exactly as it was already, just a more expensive version with their hands tied behind their back.

cheekyscrip, kimthecat and KittenKong like this.
  12. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

Disappointing to say the least.
    As Brexit fast approaches I think we'll be seeing more opposition from both the major parties which could prove fatal to both TM and JC's leaderships.

Already Philip Hammond for example is expressing some opposition to May's no deal possibilities and some differences in opinion between May and the DUP also exist, even though both parties are very pro Brexit.

MrsZee, cheekyscrip and Elles like this.
  13. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Sounds mad to me !

I found the the Labor manifest confusing.

Chuka Umunna was getting crap on twitter , they were saying it was a bid for leadership and trying to bring Labour into disarray but he had a chance to run for leadership against Corbyn last time but decided not too. Why would he do that now when Corbn is in a strong place. I dunno . :(

Elles and KittenKong like this.
  14. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

I think on this matter he is actually doing what his conscience tells him to do. It's a more honest position than that of Corbyn or May.

Having said that, he looks like he's not trying to distance himself from a future leadership bid! With Corbyn's unexpectedly robust performance this time round - halped a lot I think by the comparison with the Maybot's dreadful performance - that bid won't be soon, but give it a couple of years and who knows.

If he's ever running for PM I think he's got my vote. (For all the good it would do him!)

15. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

@Arnie83 I must admit to being disappointed when Chuka dropped out of the leadership race, perhaps he felt he wasn't ready . Hopefully in the future he will be our first black PM , that would be good.

Arnie83 likes this.
  16. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

I don't think I have ever agreed with you before but there's a first time for everything. Even speaking as an ardent and continued supporter of Brexit I have to concede that it is blindingly obvious that leaving will have a detrimental effect on UK jobs and the economy for the foreseeable future. The contradiction in the current Labour Party position has me a bit confused.

Still, it is nice to see that we are approaching clarity on principles. The overwhelming majority of MPs across both benches now seemingly support a real Brexit. So, all in all, a good day yesterday :).

17. DT

DT Banned

Both sides seem to change their minds as often as their knickers,

kimthecat, cheekyscrip and Elles like this.
  18. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

But I was only scaremongering. ;)

Satori and cheekyscrip like this.
  19. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

I was well aware labours intention was to leave the single market - from the manifesto & from Corbyn's own words. I was under no illusion about that at all & I'm someone who want's to remain in the SM.

What I didn't realise, until just, is that Chuka had stated this (below):confused: Now its clear even to layman like me that we cannot have restrictions on free movement AND single market membership. The EU will not budge on that, so I can only assume Chuka is making mischief for Corbyn again lol

upload_2017-6-30_14-55-59.png

KittenKong and MrsZee like this.
  20. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

Given that we haven't sat round a negotiation table and explored any possibility of curtailing free movement while remaining in the single market, I think Chuka's right.

Why start by saying "We're leaving the single market" without even officially asking the question? (Unless leaving single market is our top priority.) It's very unlikely we'll get the answer we want, but you never know.

KittenKong and cheekyscrip like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice