Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Labour has started

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by foxyroxy1979, Apr 5, 2011.

1. foxyroxy1979

foxyroxy1979 PetForums Junior

Is anyone around. The first water sac is showing for half hour now, should she burst this herself to allow contractions to start?

2. foxyroxy1979

anyone? i've called vets and its a receptionist reading from a book. waiting for her to speak to vet and call back

3. Bijou

Bijou PetForums VIP

The water sac is usually a sign that a pup wil be born very soon - at first the sac will emerge and retract a few times - it can also burst - don't be too worried as the sac it self does not contain the puppy - is your bitch still contracting strongly ? - if she is then I would wait a little longer to see if the pup emerges - don't forget the first pup has to clear the way for the others and can take a little longer to be born - if your bitch has stopped contracting then this could be sign of uterine inertia and your vet will need to be contacted asap.

Good luck !

4. foxyroxy1979

I've not seen her contracting at all. She gave a big yelp when the water sac poked out and thats been it. The sac is just hanging there. Ive shined a torch on the sac and its empty on the outisde

5. amberspy

amberspy PetForums Member

any news yet

6. shells

shells PetForums VIP

hope everything is going well xx

7. Sparkle

Sparkle PetForums Senior

Shed have to push the bag out so should be contracting if the bag is out completely feather her to see if you can get those contractions going

What breed is she?

8. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

Hi hun

Hope all is ok, let us know as soon as you can.

9. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

hope all goes ok, got my fingers crossed for you.xxxxxx

10. foxyroxy1979

HI everyone thanks for all the replies. I took her to the vets as she wasn't having any contractions. She gave her oxytocin which started very mild contractions. The first pup was big but after about an hour and a half the vet managed to get it out and would you beleive the pup was still alive and kicking!! Definately a fighter. The second came out alot easier but the contractions were still only mild. Honey was given another dose of oxytocin but the contractions were not strong enough and the vet thinks the 3rd pup is also big. I have just left her at the vets for a c-section and will go back in a few hours. Vet thinks at least another 2 still inside. Honey was fantastic, she didn't seemed stressed at all which is one good thing (she must be one of those "too posh to push" doggys!!) Can I ask you guys a question please? the vet said honey should be spayed as she would have the same problem with her contractions next time. Do you think this is right. I have no intentions of breeding her again after all this but would like to do my research and know facts before I say yes to her. Oh and I nearly forgot the 2 pups so far are both girls.

#10 foxyroxy1979, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  11. colliemerles

im so glad you got her to the vet and things are going ok. so you have two girls so far and after the c-section you may have another couple puppies, fingers crossed all goes well, what breed is honey,:) as for the spaying i really dont know, we will have to ask a more knowledgable breeder,:) do keep us posted.xxxxx

12. foxyroxy1979

Oh yes forgot to say. She's a shih tzu. She's solid gold and the dad is brownish/grey and white. First pup is solid brindle and the second is solid brown. will post pics asap

13. I believe so. When I worked in the vets dogs that had birthing problems during 1 litter were usually always back on their next litter with similar if not the same whelping problems.

Tanya's the best to ask about this.

14. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

So sorry I haven't been online. Haven't been well today. Will sit and wait for news then advise further :)

Once again, apologies :(

Tanya

15. colliemerles

so sorry your not well Tanya, i do hope your better soon.xxxx:)

16. gizzmo341

gizzmo341 PetForums Junior

well? do you have your fist pup yet?

17. foxyroxy1979

Hi all. Let Honey at the vets after pups 1 & 2 born. Vet helped no.3 then she did c-section for the 4th. Altogether 4 girls. Just brought her home and a little worried about her feeding them. She will lay there and let them feed if I lay her down but as soon as I walk away she gets up and I have to make her get in the box again. I'm hoping her maternal instinct will kick in and she will lay down voluntarily eventually?! Will put picture on tomorrow. As I said a few posts ago the vet said that if honey was pregnant again she would not have contractions then either, if this is true could it also be a hereditary problem? I ask because I'm wondering if it is hereditary should I put endorsments on the certificates? Thanks again for all your help.

18. Ridgielover

Ridgielover PetForums Senior

Firstly, you need to stay with your bitch, not just leave her on her own. Her behaviour is telling you that she needs you around. Most of us responsible breeders stay with our bitches 24 hours a day for several weeks just before and after whelping.

Secondly, if she has suffered from uterine inertia (which this sounds like) then she would probably be affected again and there is a possibility that her offspring will be more likely to be affected. I endorse the registrations of all pups that I sell as a matter of course, but I would not recommend that any of these pups are bred from and I wouldn't let your bitch have another litter.

19. Bijou

Bijou PetForums VIP

Glad to hear that your 4 pups are safely delivered albeit a little traumatically ! - personally I would not breed from her again - uterine inertia often will reoccur and it's just not worth taking the risk.

Enjoy your new family

20. foxyroxy1979

No I won't be leaving her on her own at all. The only time I did was when she had her section and I won't be breeding from her again either. Thanks for all the advice

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice