Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lab with bad gas!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Kane, May 7, 2011.

1. Kane

Kane PetForums Junior

For the past few weeks, our 6 month old Lab puppy has had really bad gas. It's not just once every now and again, it seems to be almost every few minutes.

I asked the Vet last week and she said it could be a food issue but he's been on the same food (Wainwrights) since he came to us at 8 weeks old, he's had no change in diet at all. He doesn't get 'extras' either, only his food in the morning and evening. I'd be happy to change his food but it's difficult to find one that is good quality and not expensive.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what might be causing this?

2. I would suspect the food!

3. alisondalziel

alisondalziel PetForums VIP

parp!! :p

sorry, couldn't help myself.

4. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

If his food is all that's going in, it can only be that really, can't it (Please don't take that the wrong way, I say 'can't it' because I could easily be wrong)?

There's a few foods around the same price or a bit less/more than wainwrights. Arden Grange lamb and rice is a great food. Skinners duck and rice or salmon and rice are good (not as good as the arden grange though). I feed Simpsons serial free, that's about £32 per bag.

Some foods just don't agree with some dogs, a lot of users here feed James Wellbeloved, but it gave mine terrible wind lol.

Skinners Field and Trial Duck and Rice

Skinners Field and Trial Salmon Rice

Arden Grange Lamb and Rice Dog Food

Simpsons Adult Sensitive

Vitalin do a cereal free food too, it can be had cheaper than on their website, I just don't have time to look right now, sorry

Vitalin Pet Food

Fish4dogs is only slightly more expensive but an excellent food. High meat content and cereal free.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-and-cat-food-fish-4-dogs-c-62_503/fish-4-dogs-dog-food-12kg-dry-p-3346

#4 Lyceum, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011
  5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I would say food too. Puppy food is high in protein may be worthwhile putting him on to adult to see if that makes a difference to the exhaust fumes:D. Probably be beneficial to slowing his last spurt of growth too.

Perhaps you could take your bag of puppy back to P@H, explain that you feel it's causing problems and they will exchange it for a bag of adult for you.
    Not sure if you use the salmon and potato but that's probably the best for tums.

That said, I'm not a fan of dried food and if it were me, I would be giving him some WW wet as well:D

6. Kane

Kane PetForums Junior

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought. It just seemed a little odd to me that it's all of a sudden come on when he's had the same diet since he came home.

I'm wondering if it's maybe an allergy to one of the ingredients in it.

Thanks for the links, I'll definitely take a look and give one a go, it's gotta' be worth a try.

7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Does he really gobble his food down quick? Or quicker then he used to? If so he could be swallowing and taking down air with it.

Does he run and jump around before or after eating perhaps more than he used too. Again that can cause excessive gas. Or do you walk him for less than an hour either side of feeding. That again can cause gas. In fact dogs shouldnt be exercised for a minimum of a hour either side of eating especially more so for deep chested large breeds. If they get excessive gas and they dont pass it, it can lead to bloat, and even worse still gastric tortion which means the stomach twists and then its a life threatening emergency.

A lot of times its the food too, some foods are packed with fillers and bulking agents, that have little nutritional value and just produce waste. Im not familiar with wainwrights as never used it. Main culprits tend to be things like wheat and maize, although some dogs dont get on if there is excessive cereals in the food.

Just one thing I would add, whatever reason he is getting gas, its better out than in as they say, it would do him a lot more harm if it wasnt.

8. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

It may be an idea to try him on adult food. Novak couldn't tolerate puppy food once he hit 6 months. Wainwrights is a decent food, so maybe change to the adult version. If you think it's a reaction to an ingredient, it's more than likely one of the cereals, they cause the most reactions. But I've linked to some cereal free foods too.

But with any change of diet, you'll likely end up with gas lol. So don't expect an instant result, give it a few weeks.

#8 Lyceum, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice