Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

lab/weimeraner puppy wanted

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Paddit, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Paddit

Paddit PetForums Newbie

Hi
    Unfortunately, my lovely choc lab/weimeraner cross had to be put to sleep last week. he was only 2.5 years old.
    I'm desperately searching for another one. If you know where I can buy one, please respond to this thread.
    My family and I were heartbroken to lose our loyal, lovable dog, Blue.

Thanks in Advance

2. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Sorry for your loss

Why was he pts at a young age?

3. sorry for your loss

are you looking for another crossbreed? or one of either breed?

If a purebred then try contacting the relevant breed clubs, they will have a puppy coordinator who can help you - they will also have a rescue coordinator if you want to home a rescue dog.

If its a crossbreed, then unfortunatly its unlikely the pups parents will have had health tests and so its a risky business buying a puppy. You might strike lucky though and find one of your desired cross in a rescue centre.

4. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Thats quite an unusual cross, I think.... unfortunately you may have trouble finding another, especially one from a good breeder :(

5. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I doubt you'll be able to buy one its not exactly a common mix. I'm sure you could find one in a rescue. If you do get one from a breeder make sure the parents have had all the health tests for those breeds.

6. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

7. Paddit

Paddit PetForums Newbie

Hi All,
    Thanks for your quick responses. I know it is a tall order to try to find one, but you never know.....
    He had Cardiomyopathy, which I believe is very rare in a dog so young and also in a cross-breed.
    He brought us a great deal of pleasure and my wife and children are naturally very distraught.
    If you do hear of any for sale in your respective areas, I'd be eternally grateful for an email.

Again, thanks for your replies.

8. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I would hope not - where on earth did they get the idea that it's a recognised breed in the USA - smacks of byb to me.

9. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Paddit - so sorry to hear of your loss. Unfortunately, you are unlikely to find any decent breeder breeding this cross and the parents are unlikely to have been health tested.. Would a lab or a weimeraner not suit? If so, a find a good breed that has health tested the parents.

10. majortom

majortom PetForums Member

i was thinking the same thing
    sorry for your loss
    if you want a cross breed, there are plenty of unwanted dogs in rescue
    if you want a pedigree, find a good breeder
    its a young age to lose a dog
    these people crossing these breeds are only in it for the money
    no health testing or care where these pups go

11. I Thought the labrador was already susceptible to cardiomyopathy not sure about weimys - perhaps someone could enlighten me. edit: just been onto the weimy club and cardiomyopathy is recognised as a breed health problem in weimys.

I am going to bite the bullet and say that its entirely feasable (i would say probable) that your dogs condition was a result of its breeding. Cross breeding doesnt mean that you get less conditions, it could just as easily mean you get both breeds health problems in one dog.

Unfortunatly most breeders who produce mixed breed dogs, dont use things like health testing or even good examples of each dogs breed. Therefore you wont know what illnesses are hiding under the skin of a cute puppy. Most breeders who produce crosses do so purely for the money (yes i am aware certain crosses are produced to work etc), and add an inflated price tag to fool the public into thinking its a new breed. In your case i found websites dedicated to the "labmarana" - there is no such breed.

I would say if you really want a dog of this type you look in the rescue centres, there will be a weimy cross and certainly lab crosses available. You would not only be doing a good deed but you also wouldnt be lining the pockets of an unscrupulous breeder.

12. joel1995

joel1995 PetForums Newbie

Hi, just read your notice, so sorry to hear of your loss, I breed Labmaraners and have great knowledge, I own a weimaraner and my sister owns a chocolate labrador. we have had on litter of pups last year and will be having another. I keep in regular contact with all my puppies owners and we get together with all our dogs. They are a remarkable breed and I am hoping to bring more into the UK as they are very popular in the states. I am sorry to ask but what happened as your dog was so young?? thanks..

13. Smarty Pants

Smarty Pants Guest

Take it you are breeding your weim with your sisters lab then what line is your weim and your lab just curious

14. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Don't think lines come into it - more like convenience. ;)

15. Smarty Pants

Smarty Pants Guest

would like to know the lines of the weim out of interest curiosity will kill this cat else

16. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I dont spose lines matters! ;) Do you breed weims then ? or just know alot about them?

17. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Firstly Im sorry for your loss but they arent rare, they are sold as Silver Labs, wrong but then who am I to judge.

18. Smarty Pants

Smarty Pants Guest

suprised you aint got a blueuy they make a load of lover ya know

19. Smarty Pants

Smarty Pants Guest

the blue for them that dont know is a real dark weim popular in the states and new to the uk with just a breeder down south

20. Smarty Pants

Smarty Pants Guest

aint a recognized colour in the uk and the weim breeders in the uk dont want it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice